United Parcel Service malware alert

If you receive a parcel delivery message from "United Parcel Service of America" with a zip file attached purporting to be the tracking code, its malware so don't open it.

If anyone had just placed an order online as I had, it would be so easy to be fooled. I believe its a new threat and the filters will probably weed it out soon.

Steve

[quote user="Sc"]If you receive a parcel delivery message from "United Parcel Service of America" with a zip file attached purporting to be the tracking code, its malware so don't open it. If anyone had just placed an order online as I had, it would be so easy to be fooled. I believe its a new threat and the filters will probably weed it out soon. Steve[/quote]

THANK YOU!   I've had two of these today and as I am  impatiently expecting an overdue parcel I could so easily have fallen for that one. Saved by your timely warning....

I'm glad if your warning has helped somebody but this is a very old and well known scam the only thing which might have changed is the payload contained in the zip file.

Whether awaiting a delivery or not the standard warning applies, NEVER NEVER open attachments from unknown and untrusted sources.

In this case ask yourself what possible reason could a company like UPS have for making their response form a ziped up .exe executable - absolutely none is the answer - so that alone should alert you to the nature of the email.

In fact, apart perhaps for photos, and there it is just a convenience to put several photos in a single file as there will be little actual compression, there are few if any real reasons for ever emailing a zip file.

EDIT: Bizarrely I just checked mt email and one of these very UPS emails arrived in my inbox whilst I was typing the above !

[quote user="AnOther"]

In this case ask yourself what possible reason could a company like UPS have for making their response form a ziped up .exe executable - absolutely none is the answer - so that alone should alert you to the nature of the email.

EDIT: Bizarrely I just checked mt email and one of these very UPS emails arrived in my inbox whilst I was typing the above !

[/quote]

I know I really should ask myself what reason etc etc AnOther but you see unfortunately I'm one those unschooled ones who wouldn't recognise a 'ziped up .exe executable '  if it sat up and whistled at me..... Fortunately I'm usually naturally very cautious and secondly I'm very aware of how little I know 'puterwise so most of the time  I rely on my  " when in doubt, do nowt "  policy to protect me a bit.

( So cautious that I haven't yet plucked up courage to update my very old Internet Explorer and keep getting very grumpy impatient flash-ups from various sites..) 

Perhaps not as unschooled as you think [;-)]

You said

"I've had two of these today .............I could so easily have fallen for that one. Saved by your timely warning...."

but does the fact that you posted that at 17:16 mean that you didn't fall for them for reasons of your own good sense and not necessarily by dint of this warning [:)]

For anyone who doesn't know what a zip or exe file is then it's doubly important to not download or open attachments unless you know exactly who they are from and are expecting them.

As previously discussed on other threads these emails usually have the salutation "Dear Customer", or "Dear Sir/Madam" but never your actual name. What does this tell you? That the sender doesn't know who you are! Obviously if they were trying to deliver to you they would have your name already.

As AnO says, this is an old scam (2009 at least).

Whilst venting your irritation might make you feel better it will be a completely futile gesture.

What 'Internet provider' are you talking about anyway, the source is either spoofed or it's from a zombie PC somewhere. If it were that easy to track and block such spam don't you think the ISP's would be doing it.

Yahoo mail makes a decent job of filtering them as they invariably go straight to my spam box.

[quote user="AnOther"]Whilst venting your irritation might make you feel better it will be a completely futile gesture.

[/quote]

Yes but it does make you feel better (teleconnect Spit ) doesn't it [;-)]

It's o2 and I am sure this much spam didn't get through before especially as a lot of it is just random [email protected] that make it through