I'm taking my new laptop back and getting a refund. I don't like windows 7 and the whole thing feels cheap and nasty. I'm using macs at college and am preferring them, so may well get a mac at a later date.

My main concern is my programs. I heard the macs can run windows programs. Is this true and how easy is it to run them? Am looking mainly at running the PC versions of Office, Adobe Master Suite Collection and Corel Draw. Will it do it and what mac laptops would you suggest looking at? Mid range prices is what I'm looking at.

Ta in advance.

Assuming you have a suitable CD you can install Windows on a MAC via Boot Camp and run virtually all the programmes you would on a Windows laptop.

Can't really see the point though, why not buy a better Windows laptop for what a MAC will cost.

What exactly is it that you like about the MACs you use at college ?

Variety of reasons, I prefer the interface of the Mac, I also use keyboard shortcuts a lot and there are differences between PC and Mac which makes it confusing.

I hated Vista, and find win 7 not much of an improvement in terms of interface (personally I thought they nearly had it right with XP), but the OS on the mac is easier to use imo. The experience seems to be a lot smoother.

Not to mention I can download all the fonts from the college mac to my mac and not have to search for them on an individual basis as I have been, which has been a pain.

Am tempted to go for the desktop version of the mac and get an ipad for mobile internet use, which would be the same price as a mac laptop.

What I would do for programs is probably download them again, but for the mac and just use my serial codes for my pc versions and hope they work. If not, there are other means.

The laptop I bought was a fairly high spec one, but the mouse was very unresponsive, it didn't seem any quicker than my old laptop and for the money I shelled out the only advantage I got was a qwerty keyboard. So back to the shop it goes today and a refund shall be acquired.

I'll use the money to go towards a mac which I'll buy sometime next year I think. I won't need it so quick as I don't have any computer graphic design classes next semester.

[quote user="NuBeginnings"]Ditch the PC move over to a mac and get to grips with the OS X You will never look back, yes they are more expensive but so is a Porsche in comparison to a Mini Metro. 10 years of owning a mac and never looked back.[/quote]

Now you see I'm the opposite, I just can't get on with a Mac but thats just me. I have to stare at the screen while I think what I am trying to do and where I have to go to do it so something simple that I can do on a Windows machine takes me much longer. On the other hand if I had a Mac for 10 years it would be the other way round and probably equally frustrating. I don't really believe one is better than the other. As a user they both do the same thing but in a different way, bit like left and right handed people (that's not being derogatory to either). The only negative things about Mac's is there is far less software around but all the main stuff is available. The other thing, which in my opinion was a big mistake yet unfortunately forced upon them, was changing from Motorola to Intel processors, the Motorola was actually much faster because it was less complicated. Different horses for different courses as they say.

One thing I really don't like is some Mac users feel they have to justify their computers and talk with an air of superiority because they have one and love nothing more than slagging Windows off. The only argument one can offer in Windows defence is there are far more Windows machines in the world than Mac's which would indicate, rightly or wrongly, that IT professionals buying computers for companies feel Windows based machine offer better value for money.

As I say, I haven't liked windows since XP, I really feel they went backwards with Vista and win 7, in terms of interface and useability. I wish they had just improved XP rather than changing the entire system.

I am thinking along the lines of going for an iMac (which is what I use at college) and then an ipad for mobile and internet use. I can buy the two of them for what it would cost for a laptop mac.

Added bonus is that I will get a student discount on the machines too, so won't have to pay full retail price.

And Walmart refunded me my $600 no problems :)

[quote user="Quillan"]

Now you see I'm the opposite, I just can't get on with a Mac but thats just me. I have to stare at the screen while I think what I am trying to do and where I have to go to do it so something simple that I can do on a Windows machine takes me much longer. On the other hand if I had a Mac for 10 years it would be the other way round and probably equally frustrating. I don't really believe one is better than the other. As a user they both do the same thing but in a different way, bit like left and right handed people (that's not being derogatory to either). The only negative things about Mac's is there is far less software around but all the main stuff is available. The other thing, which in my opinion was a big mistake yet unfortunately forced upon them, was changing from Motorola to Intel processors, the Motorola was actually much faster because it was less complicated. Different horses for different courses as they say.

One thing I really don't like is some Mac users feel they have to justify their computers and talk with an air of superiority because they have one and love nothing more than slagging Windows off. The only argument one can offer in Windows defence is there are far more Windows machines in the world than Mac's which would indicate, rightly or wrongly, that IT professionals buying computers for companies feel Windows based machine offer better value for money.

[/quote]

[quote user="Quillan"]One thing I really don't like is some Mac users feel they have to

justify their computers and talk with an air of superiority because they

have one and love nothing more than slagging Windows off. [/quote]

Funny that, just change a few words and it fits the above quite well, don't you think.

One thing I really don't like is some Windows users feel they have to

justify their computers and talk with an air of superiority because they

have one and love nothing more than slagging Macs off.

I haven't commented on this thread simply because I knew the 'Mac-knockers' would come out of the woodwork, and sure enough, it happened.

Richard, i agree with you wholeheartedly regarding Vista. I went down the iMac route by chance really when my old laptop got broken on the way back from France and i was forced to consider a replacement. I chose the iMac and then the ipad when it came out and have been amazed/thrilled with both ever since. The ipad goes everywhere with me and has completely revolutionised my life. I've just got the ipad 2 and find it to be much quicker, as advertised, and lighter too. I didn't find the old one particularly heavy but the new one is definitely easier - particularly when i am using it in the wee hours. As a chronic insomniac, i am at least able to make some use now of those disturbed hours!

I won't be buying until I sell my house, so by then perhaps the iPad 3 will be out. Knowing how long it'll take for houses to sell in France, I'll look at the iPad 6!

Seriously, I think I'll go for a 3G version so I can have the net anywhere with it. $15 a month I think it is.

But I have been very impressed with the iMac at college. Very fast, easy and it's never crashed on me yet (PC's always crash on me).

3G was important for me as it goes everywhere with me. I wonder how different the next model will be? Will it support flash perhaps? (vain hope i know). For me that is the only downside. I've just been browsing the RSPB site, trying to identify the bird i saw in the garden today. There is a video and soundtrack of the song but i need flash to run it. I'll have to wait til i get back to the UK, damn and blast.

Do people still put houses on EBay? When i was looking 3 years ago, i did find a few on Ebay. Have you had any interest yet?

Flash is a worry, and I'm not sure the ipad will ever be able to run it, which is quite strange.

I was looking at mobile phone plans with internet access, but they start at $90 per month inc unlimited net, text and talk. Can't justify that, but can justify $15 a month for the ipad and the $10 a month I currently pay for unlimited texting on my cell.

I'm building a website for my house at present, the paperwork has only just arrived at the immobilier so I doubt anything will happen for a while.

My tenant expressed an interest, but have heard nothing from him in a month regarding it, so assume he's not interested now.