freesat signal change at night

We are currently finding that we get a perfectly good freesat reception on all channels by day, as always in the past, but currently poor or no signal on some channels at night. E.g. losing BBC 1 and 2 but still have good BBC HD. Before I go up aloft and start moving dish parts around, is there a weather or day/night -related issue with satellite signals with the current high pressure /dry air weather around, as is sometimes the case with terrestrial TV? We don't have a sat receiver in the UK so I am not very up to speed on sat tech issues.

I don't have any problems like that, so I doubt it's as simple as a day/night thing. Have you got a bird roosting on the dish after dark? [blink]

I hope one of the Sat-techies will come up with some suggestions. I'm guessing that your dish is not exactly aligned?

Good luck.

How big is your dish?

I ask because this sort of problem is more prevalent in S Spain/Portugal,   where tiny variations in signal strength mean (in the digital domain) that "underpowered" dishes lose the signal,  often at regular times of day,  possibly (it's been suggested) if the sat is running on battery power whilst in the earth's shadow.

But where you are I'd expect a properly set up 80 cm dish to be OK most of the time.

One thing to check,  and we say it again and again,  is the "skew" or twist of the LNB from its natural vertical position.   Astra 2D (where a lot of freesat comes from) has (although denied by SES/Astra) an extra skew factor which can be accommodated by twisting the LNB clockwise an extra 10 to 20 degs viewed from in front of the dish.   If you do go aloft (and be careful) then get this checked too and if freesat is your main concern then optimise it for this and the channels you prefer.

• 3 weeks later...
we have the same problem as you. During the day have no probs unless it is absolutely throwing it down but in the evening we have trouble with ITV1 and all the 4's Channel 4, ITV4 and More 4. Is it something to do with the strength of the signal going down due to switchover!!!

[quote user="geraldina"]we have the same problem as you. During the day have no probs unless it is absolutely throwing it down but in the evening we have trouble with ITV1 and all the 4's Channel 4, ITV4 and More 4. Is it something to do with the strength of the signal going down due to switchover!!![/quote]

Definitely nothing at all to do with any switchover.

All those channels are on Astra 2D satellite.

It suggests that the dish/LNB is not properly aligned for good reception from there.

See Martin's comments regarding the skew of the LNB for optimum reception.

Danny

And - incidentally - for those of you with non Sky and non freesat HD boxes,  you will need to do a rescan on 6th June to continue watching BBC 1 HD and the BBC HD channel.

On that day (don't know what time yet) the transmission parameter for these two BBC HD channels will change from DVB-S to DVB-S2.

I foresee a bit of trouble,   even with some freesat boxes.....

Ordinary (standard def) boxes will be unaffected.