Anti Virus & Malware Programmes

In the USA Microsoft Security Protection has grown itself from 10% to 17 % in the past year to end of May.

Whilst in global terms MSSE comes in at 4th but growing fast.

Seems little doubt tyat in the next couple of years Microsoft will become the biggest market share.

It is free and works goodly for me.

More details in PDF:

http://www.opswat.com/media/reports/OPSWAT-Market-Share-Report-June-2011.pdf

[quote user="f1steveuk"]I'm running MSE alongside the new (and free) Advance System Care 4, which has Malware cleaner and a brilliant defrag as well, so good that I am tempted to pay for the full version, but only tempted!
[/quote]

Well I for one wont be joining you.[:P]

http://www.libellules.ch/news/index.php?post/2009/11/02/MalwareBytes-accuse-IOBit-vol-base-de-donnee

It'll be busy next week! Microsoft will release 16 security bulletins addressing 34 vulnerabilities in Windows, the .NET Framework, Silverlight, Forefront Threat Management Gateway, Internet Explorer, Office, SQL Server and Visual Studio. 9 of the bulletins have a maximum rating of critical.

Added to that little lot, Adobe are also releasing critical updates to Acrobat and Reader.

If you don't use your computer for gaming and need it for websurfing, letter writing, email and Facebooking etc then a Linux system would be a good investment.

They are becoming more user-friendly and are completely free to install and use.

I have been using Linux Mint for several years and not a virus or malaware in sight.

Here is a link to the version supported up to 2013

http://mirror.linuxmint-fr.net/linuxmint.com/stable/9/linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-i386.iso

[quote user="halfblind"]If you don't use your computer for gaming and need it for websurfing, letter writing, email and Facebooking etc then a Linux system would be a good investment. They are becoming more user-friendly and are completely free to install and use. I have been using Linux Mint for several years and not a virus or malaware in sight. Here is a link to the version supported up to 2013 http://mirror.linuxmint-fr.net/linuxmint.com/stable/9/linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-i386.iso [/quote]

Don't kid yourself. People who write Malware programs and worms love UNIX box's because they can replicate these things without anyone ever knowing. That does not mean they effect the programs running on the box. Most servers run by ISP's are UNIX based which is why these programs are designed to replicate without people knowing. You should run AV and Malware protection even on a UNIX box, Kaspersky is one of the leaders in this field for UNIX box's. I don't have a problem with UNIX or Mac operating systems but there is a lot of myth's floating around that falsely lead people to believe that both these operating systems are immune from all those 'nasties'. Of course there are more of them for Windows based systems mainly because there are so many systems running Windows but don't take it fr granted you are safe running UNIX.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="halfblind"]If you don't use your computer for gaming and need it for websurfing, letter writing, email and Facebooking etc then a Linux system would be a good investment. They are becoming more user-friendly and are completely free to install and use. I have been using Linux Mint for several years and not a virus or malaware in sight. Here is a link to the version supported up to 2013 http://mirror.linuxmint-fr.net/linuxmint.com/stable/9/linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-i386.iso [/quote]

Don't kid yourself. People who write Malware programs and worms love UNIX box's because they can replicate these things without anyone ever knowing. That does not mean they effect the programs running on the box. Most servers run by ISP's are UNIX based which is why these programs are designed to replicate without people knowing. You should run AV and Malware protection even on a UNIX box, Kaspersky is one of the leaders in this field for UNIX box's. I don't have a problem with UNIX or Mac operating systems but there is a lot of myth's floating around that falsely lead people to believe that both these operating systems are immune from all those 'nasties'. Of course there are more of them for Windows based systems mainly because there are so many systems running Windows but don't take it fr granted you are safe running UNIX.

[/quote] I agree Q, but really only necessary if you have windows boxes in your LAN. For a standalone PC I think you should be OK, but I do scan my PC once in a while to see if I have been infected and as I said after 6 yrs no problem.

What you have is UNIX with a GUI on it. It can replicate these 'nasties' and send them out over the Internet when you are connected by acting as a server without you knowing. They do not have any effect on the other software on your machine, like your browser or WP program.