Upgrading Vista to Windows 7

Assuming your going to be deleting and reformatting the hard drive why not just install a fresh copy of W7 in French. Just as a matter of interest what about the keyboard, won't it still be QWERTY and therefore a bit confusing. Your also need at least 2GB of memory else it will be as fast as a two legged greyhound. [;-)]

PS. Just checked on the Microsoft website and I believe that the only way you can change the language is to install one of the 'Ultimate' versions.

Is he in full time education? If so he can get a student pack which is really cheap, they must do the same in France. He can also get the latest version of MS Office. Student discounts are typically 90% or the RRP. What you get is an empty box with a card. He takes the card to school/college/university to get a signature then sends it off in a pre-paid envelope (well that's in the UK) and the product(s) arrive by post a few weeks later.

me too, I have Vistalizator running on a win 7 laptop french to english, there are one or two things that don't translate to english bit it is not many. I believe i read somewhere that some updates override it and can cause problems but it hasn't happened here yet and I have been running it for best part of a year.

of course that doesn't get over the fact you upgrade from vista to win 7, I just stumbled across a version of ultimate on ebay.fr new 99 euros it is english version but I guess you just need to download the French language pack after installing it

Oh dear....

There are a huge number of dodgy sellers of Windows on Ebay, Amazon and Play etc

The disc may or may not install OK but the chances are that the license key is not valid and it will be recognised as not genuine before too long.

http://forums.hexus.net/shopping-retail-therapy/190711-how-safe-buying-retail-windows-7-ultimate-ebay.html

http://reviews.ebay.com/Windows-7-Ultimate-what-to-ask-before-you-buy-or-bid_W0QQugidZ10000000018408262

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/3ec5bec4-570c-4529-8176-6e8930766d5f/

Personally, I would cancel the order if you still can. It may be difficult to do later on when it stops functioning.

If it seems to good to be true....

Danny

€70 seems just too cheap doesn't it, and it is for a genuine retail version, but not all are cons, it really depends where they come from and how bothered you are about the strict letter of the licence.

I bought a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from eBay about 15 months ago but almost the next day I got an email from eBay saying that they had pulled the listing and invited me to open a claim to get my money back.

I decided to wait to see what turned up but I was pretty confident having had a couple of exchanges with the seller as to whether I wanted the 32 or dual 32/64bit. A week or so later the DVD turned up and although it was Dell branded OEM it worked perfectly and continues to to this day. It came in a sealed envelope with the CoA holographic label and even had all the language packs on it, good enough for me [;-)]

I reviewed the going rate in eBay for this Win 7 Ultimateand there is a cluster around the 60-80€ mark from a number of vendors. That takes into account immediate sales and auctions.

The vendor has a high positive rating and I've looked at the last few months' worth. There were one or two cases where he seems to have picked up a dodgy copy but those have apparently been reimbursed. I bought via PayPal and I believe that also gives some protection in the event of mis-selling.

The software might be a bit cheaper than usual because it's an English install. I don't know if that points to being an OEM package.