TV only contract?

Hi all

My folks have a holiday house in the south of France. It's occupied maybe 60% of the year by various family members. At present they don't have any phone connection nor internet and they just use the existing TV availability through an old set that plugs into the aerial outlet on the wall. But, as you all know, the days of digital only are on the way. My folks are stumped as to the best way to organise this. They would prefer to only pay for the time that they are resident, but I can't see how that would be possible. Also they only want a TV contract, not phone or internet. Has anyone come across anything that might be suitable?

Much obliged.

[quote user="chocolatefish"]Hi all

My folks have a holiday house in the south of France. It's occupied maybe 60% of the year by various family members. At present they don't have any phone connection nor internet and they just use the existing TV availability through an old set that plugs into the aerial outlet on the wall. But, as you all know, the days of digital only are on the way. My folks are stumped as to the best way to organise this. They would prefer to only pay for the time that they are resident, but I can't see how that would be possible. Also they only want a TV contract, not phone or internet. Has anyone come across anything that might be suitable?

Much obliged.[/quote]

Why not just use the digital terrestrial signal that replaces the analogue signal (through the same antenna) - either by buying a set-top box (cheap) or by buying a new TV with TNT receiver built-in?

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="Pickles"]   just use the digital terrestrial signal that replaces the analogue signal (through the same antenna) - either by buying a set-top box (cheap) or by buying a new TV with TNT receiver built-in? [/quote]

Just what I'm after, coming up in http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_26548.htm next week . . .

[/quote]

that is a satellite receiver and as such will not receive anything connected up to the rooftop aerial - just in case you did not know.

Of course, if you want to connect it up to a Sat dish, you will receive all Free to Air channels.

Danny

[quote user="chocolatefish"]Hi all

Much obliged.[/quote]

as mentioned, you do not need any sort of contract to watch French TV via the aerial. A simple TNT box like this for ex. will suffice

http://www.castorama.fr/store/Adaptateur-TNT-terrestre-1er-PRIX-PRDm483693.html?navCount=1&navAction=push

or if you buy any new TV it will be already equipped with an internal digital tuner.

Or do you mean UK TV via satellite?? You also do not need any contract.

Danny