Laptop wi fi connection

Went to a friends yesterday and took laptop for the 1st time. Tried to connect and it was asking for 'DEVICE OWNERSHIP PASSWORD' after I had chosen her wifi connection. It wasn't accepting alphabetical letters and wasn't letting me go past 7 digits when we found a number on the livebox. Where would I find this number, it says on the bottom of the livebox but we tried all the numbers there and it wouldn't accept any of them.[:@]  It is an Orange set up btw.  Any body able to help so that this won't happen again.

thanks

Maybe it wanted your friend's password, and you were putting in the WEP code (the long one) instead?

Though I am sure it would subsequently want the WEP code.

With my Orange Livebox I was given an instruction book, with space inside the cover to note everything in the way of passwords etc for the Livebox, which I duly noted down while I could still remember them.  (Sorry, am not in France at the moment, so can't tell you exactly what the list includes.)

By the way, if you try to send and receive emails while using your friend's wifi connection (if you DO ever get connected!), you will find that Receiving happens OK, but sending doesn't.  You have to go into the Settings of your email program and set up a new "account" (call it something like "From John's house" or whatever), with YOUR usual incoming "POP" address, and your FRIEND's outgoing "SMTP" address.  Then whenever you want to send an email from there, you have to remember to click on the "From" box above the email you just wrote, and select the "From John's house" option - otherwise the email will sit in your outbox unsent.

Angela

[quote user="beccyj"] It is an Orange set up btw. [/quote]

Is this Livebox a few years old ? If so, then you might need to press the 'pairing button' to allow a new/different laptop access to the Wifi. Where the pairing button is to be found depends on which make or model of Livebox you have. Check your instruction booklet.

Sue

Loiseau assumes that you will be using some sort of email client on your laptop.

If you use web based email then you won't need to do anything - other than get connected of course [;-)]

Are you using Windows native WiFi utility or a 3rd party one, something Intel perhaps. Many laptop manufacturers include these utilities but I have no idea why as they bring nothing to the party and just get in the way.

What make and model of laptop is it ?

Sin56 with a PBC solution seems the easiest.

Never heard of a WPS with an orange livebox but i have never used one.

The  WPS PIN No belongs to the livebox if not on bottom of livebox then access administration page.

LinkSys example.

http://linksys-fr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20041/~/utilisation-de-la-fonction-wi-fi-protected-setup-(wps,-configuration-prot%E3%A9g%E3%A9e

Orange WPS google search; looks like PBC only.

http://goo.gl/CG4Ex

WPS pairing is 8 digits on a Livebox. You will need to look at the wifi configuration page in the livebox to see what the code is.

And for the outgoing email from an ISP that is not your own, try inserting port 587 in the SMTP outgoing server port. It is fairly common to trap outgoing port 25 to reduce spam