It's easy to get the emphasis all wrong here.   PPP is suggesting that something has changed administratively that has allowed the arrival of new channels.

On  the contrary,  what has actually happened is that a technical plan for allocating more UHF channels to certain transmitters for additional multiplexes has been finalised.

But one wouldn't expect journalists to understand this sort of thing,   the rubbish I've heard about LW and Radio 4 recently.....

[quote user="Martin963"]It's easy to get the emphasis all wrong here.   PPP is suggesting that something has changed administratively that has allowed the arrival of new channels.

On  the contrary,  what has actually happened is that a technical plan for allocating more UHF channels to certain transmitters for additional multiplexes has been finalised.

But one wouldn't expect journalists to understand this sort of thing,   the rubbish I've heard about LW and Radio 4 recently.....

[/quote]

Yes "a hell of a lot"  of journalists were all collectively misled by the european commission.[:)]

http://tele.premiere.fr/News-Tele/Chaines-bonus-l-Europe-dit-non-Canal-M6-et-TF1-n-auront-pas-de-canaux-compensatoires-2938776

In fact all over the place on the 29/09/11.

I'm not going to waste time arguing,   but the fact remains that all these new channels - whether favoured as to use by existing providers or otherwise - would not be happening if the "plan cible a huit couches" hadn't been largely finalised.   You can't squeeze in six or more new channels in the existing set up.

In addition,  moving to DVB-T2 means that almost everyone in France will need to buy a new decoder,   as existing receivers are almost all DVB-T with MPEG4.

This is a technical forum,  and the machinations of Europe and the CSA administratively interest me but little.....

So no more from me in this thread unless it relates to the technical side.

Please feel free to have the final word ppp,  I know it's your speciality.

[quote user="Martin963"]I'm not going to waste time arguing,   but the fact remains that all these new channels - whether favoured as to use by existing providers or otherwise - would not be happening if the "plan cible a huit couches" hadn't been largely finalised.   You can't squeeze in six or more new channels in the existing set up.

In addition,  moving to DVB-T2 means that almost everyone in France will need to buy a new decoder,   as existing receivers are almost all DVB-T with MPEG4.

This is a technical forum,  and the machinations of Europe and the CSA administratively interest me but little.....

So no more from me in this thread unless it relates to the technical side.

Please feel free to have the final word ppp,  I know it's your speciality.
[/quote]

Situation before 6 Channels with 3 reserved, one each, for Canal +, TF1 and M6.

Situation after 6 Channels with Zero reserved, not even one each, for Canal +,TF1 and M6.

Your technical exposition with DVB T2 etc has nothing to do with the now free competition for the allocation of the next 6 TNT Channels in france.

So not technical, just administrative.

[quote user="Microwave_Mike"]Martin,

Don't be too harsh on pachacrappa. English is probably not his first language and he might  be using a translation programme to communicate on this forum .

M. Mike

[/quote]

Welcome to the forum! Hope the weather is fine in Cumbria.

Whilst the journos covered the non technical textual communication the technical side is worthy of consideration  when considering the future.

There is not quite the same need in france for numerous channels on TNT as the average french viewer has a modestly higher cultural identity and does not require or need lots of shopping fishing, hunting, etc channels.

The technical side was adequately considered in the annexe to the report, see below:

Or dans la partie technique de ce rapport il est précisé que le nombre de multiplex national est de 8 avec une couverture de 95% du territoire dont 6 déjà utilisés pour les chaines TNT actuelles. Donc il est possible de lancer sur le multiplex R7 10 nouvelles chaines standards que la majorité des TV peuvent capter dès aujourd'hui et lancer en 2013 le multiplex R8 dans la nouvelles norme en DVB-T2 pour 4 chaines HD supplémentaires. Enfin il reste 3 autres multiplex avec un taux de couverture de 85% soit au choix 30 chaines mpeg4 disponibles immédiatement ou 12 chaines HD disponibles en DVB T2 en 2013.

If you have problems with any semantic inexactitudes with Google translation. Please let me know.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Microwave_Mike"]Martin,

Don't be too harsh on pachacrappa. English is probably not his first language and he might  be using a translation programme to communicate on this forum .

M. Mike

[/quote]

Welcome to the forum! Hope the weather is fine in Cumbria.

Whilst the journos covered the non technical textual communication the technical side is worthy of consideration  when considering the future.

There is not quite the same need in france for numerous channels on TNT as the average french viewer has a modestly higher cultural identity and does not require or need lots of shopping fishing, hunting, etc channels.

The technical side was adequately considered in the annexe to the report, see below:

Or dans la partie technique de ce rapport il est précisé que le nombre de multiplex national est de 8 avec une couverture de 95% du territoire dont 6 déjà utilisés pour les chaines TNT actuelles. Donc il est possible de lancer sur le multiplex R7 10 nouvelles chaines standards que la majorité des TV peuvent capter dès aujourd'hui et lancer en 2013 le multiplex R8 dans la nouvelles norme en DVB-T2 pour 4 chaines HD supplémentaires. Enfin il reste 3 autres multiplex avec un taux de couverture de 85% soit au choix 30 chaines mpeg4 disponibles immédiatement ou 12 chaines HD disponibles en DVB T2 en 2013.

If you have problems with any semantic inexactitudes with Google translation. Please let me know.

[/quote]

Hi there Microwave_Mike!

I presume the googly trad came out OK, clarifying the techie DVB-T bits.

Well the good news to day tuesday the 18th october is that the CSA met in plenary session to finalise the arrangements for the selection of the additional 6 TNT Channels. Scheduled for mid 2012.

MEDIAS - Le Conseil Supérieur de l'audiovisuel était réuni en assemblée plénière ce mardi...

Les Français auront bientôt droit à six nouvelles chaînes gratuites, en  haute définition, sur la TNT – et pour l’instant en gardant les normes actuelles. Mais lesquelles? Pour le déterminer, le CSA, conseil supérieur de l’audiovisuel, a lancé ce mardi un appel d’offres.

Fuller details in the following link:

http://www.20minutes.fr/article/808192/tnt-csa-lance-appel-offres

As always awaiting your fulgurant missive explaining the complementarity of DVB-T2.[:D]

Well Microwave_Mike whilst you are working up a fulguration I'll just translate the text below the headline.

The french public will soon have the right to view 6 new free television channels, in high definition, on DTV- and for the moment still using the current transmission system. But which channels will be available? In order to determine this the CSA, the Superior Audio-Visual Council, has launched an invitation for offers.[:D]

• 5 months later...
I'm at a complete loss to know why ppp feels I personally need to be informed about what he describes as a "special",  kind though it no doubt seems to him to do so.   When or how the CSA announce new channels is of no interest to me whatsoever.   The technical aspects would of course be of huge interest,   but the CSA tend to hide those away,  and in any case the frequency allocations for the new MUXs have been available for a while.

Of course I *am* very shocked and saddened by the events that led to the delay though.

I was concerned about Microwave_Mike being worried about the CSA delay as he does not post very frequently.[I]

<< Martin,

M. Mike>>

And I have now had time to upgrade my google translation skills...hopefully to the satisfaction of M. Mike.[:)]

The pending resolution of the toulouse manhunt suggests that an announcement from the CSA will be soon , perhaps next week.

Fair enough ppp.

And I will confess a "tiny" interest to see whether the new channels that are awarded carriage on TNT turn out to be "worthwhile" or whether we'll start to see the arrival of shopping channels a la GB.

The TNT bouquet might have some rubbish on it but in comparison to the drossy channels on Freeview it could be described almost as "high falutin'".

Sorry folks been busy on the UKash thread.[:)]

But here it is the 6 new HD channels for TNT announced by the CSA.

- Chérie HD (Groupe NRJ)
-­ L’Equipe HD (Groupe Amaury)
-­ HD1 (Groupe TF1)
-­ RMC Découverte (Groupe NextRadioTV)
­- TVous La Diversité (Société Diversité TV France)
­- 6 Ter (Groupe M6)

http://www.csa.fr/Espace-Presse/Communiques-de-presse/Selection-de-six-nouvelles-chaines-en-haute-definition-pour-la-TNT

http://twitter.com/#!/csaudiovisuel