Wifi signal and concrete floors!

I've recently moved into my newly-completed den on the first floor.  Whilst my laptop picks up the signal from the Neufbox perfectly well (3 to 4 blobs), the pc drops in and out all the time (0 to 1 blob).  Can anybody recommend a simple signal booster, preferably one which doesn't require loads of cables and bits of wire all over the place?  Clearly the inbuilt thing on my laptop (Toshiba) works so why not on the pc (HP)? 

It came with a little aerial which I have attached but the thing only has about 1' of cable so barely sits on my desk, let alone gets any closer to the Neufbox.  I could buy another one with a longer cable but I'd rather use something tried and tested (and not too pricey, svp.)  I can't move the box closer to me or the o/h loses his signal strength!  Bl**dy thick old walls and concrete floors....[:D]

Yes, they're called CPL here (courant porteur ligne, or words to that effect). Netgear make them and I've got 4 of their latest ones (were on offer at Pixmania). There are other makes too. Work well for us. I've tried them from just about every distant plug socket on our "chateau" grounds (sorry Sweet).

http://www.pixmania.com/fr/fr/11397475/art/netgear/pack-de-2-mini-adaptateur.html

The instructions say that you shouldn't plug them into mains extension leads, but rather directly into a wall socket, which in my case means they're not protected by a surge protector.

Sid - You say you've got four.

Don't these normally come in matched pairs (one transmitter plugged into the modem, one distant receiver)?

Is it possible to have two receivers for just one transmitter, or do you have to plug two transmitters into the modem (and into the mains) if you want to have two separate receivers in different parts of your house?

We have the same concrete floor problem.

Briefly, I'd be interested in hearing how you are using the four you have.

I have some UK CPL plugs but they have to go into extension cords so maybe that's my problem?  Even if I got the French ones that would mean that I'd only have one socket left for the computer, printer, external hard drives, tranny scanner,  record deck (for copying albums to disc) etc etc!

Araucaria - you can certainly link loads of the ones I've got, you are not limited to 2.  However, they're not doing the job.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

I have some UK CPL plugs but they have to go into extension cords so maybe that's my problem?  Even if I got the French ones that would mean that I'd only have one socket left for the computer, printer, external hard drives, tranny scanner,  record deck (for copying albums to disc) etc etc!

Araucaria - you can certainly link loads of the ones I've got, you are not limited to 2.  However, they're not doing the job.

[/quote]

Coops - if you buy the expensive ones that Orange sell in France, the transmitter one (the one plugged into the livebox) goes into a socket, but itself has a socket in its back. So when it is plugged in, you still have the same number of free sockets: there's a picture at the link above. So if you just have one socket, you could plug the Wifi extender into it, and then plug a multisocket extension into the extender for your PC, printer, etc.

But I am fairly sure that the earlier Orange ones (equally expensive, but slower) were only sold in pairs, because they only worked as pairs: you couldn't mix and match. Each one would only talk to his partner.

Araucaria

Apologies for this VERY late reply, I haven't been monitoring this thread.

These devices normally come in pairs because you need two as a minimum, "one at each end". I have used them for several years, the earlier Netgear models XE103/XE104. Unfortunately one of them was dropped recently and it stopped working, so I've just bought the newer (faster transfer rate -200 Mbps) XAVB1301 which were (still are) on offer at Pixmania.fr for 29€ a pair. I bought 2 packs (4 units) so that I could use one pair and also leave another unit in our little gite for when our family or friends are there (or indeed for paying guests too).

You need one plugged into the router and you use the other(s) wherever you wish to site your pc. I haven't tried communicating from one remote point to another because I only have the one laptop.

As Norman points out there are other versions which incorporate a mains socket, which is very useful if you are short of mains sockets for power packs, table lamps etc.

EDIT I forgot to say - they "auto-pair" so there's no difficulty with set-up, it is as simple as "plug-and-play".