2 dishes - 1 cable

This may be a really niaive question, but here goes...

The cable running from our dish was 'plumbed' into the wall when the house was renovated by the last owner.  Without going into detail it would be very difficult to run another cable.  Ideally we'd like both UK and French TV, so is it possible to take leads from two dishes into the one cable?

All advice gratefully received

[quote user="mazandcol"] Ideally we'd like both UK and French TV  ... [/quote]

Looking at your problem from a different perspective ... French TV you can access via an aerial and a decoder or, if you have one of the later French TVs, the inbuilt decoder in your TV set.

Sue

Yes, but......it may be more complicated depending on your needs.

The normal way to do it would to use a DiSEqC switch something like this one

The cables go from the dish to the switch and one cable goes from the switch to the sat decoder. This would supply only one satellite decoder and it must be Disecq capable.

The Diseqc function basically allows the box to decide which dish to use for each channel. So you can have more than one dish on one decoder.

This may give you some limitations. For example, what you could watch and record at the same time etc.

Anything more complcated would generally need more cables through the wall.

Is there a possiblility to pull a new double cable through the wall using the present cable? There are some double cables called 'shotgun' cables which have a smaller diameter. Like this for example

Danny

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="mazandcol"] Ideally we'd like both UK and French TV  ... [/quote]
Looking at your problem from a different perspective ... French TV you can access via an aerial and a decoder or, if you have one of the later French TVs, the inbuilt decoder in your TV set.

Sue
[/quote]

Not always true, we can't get TNT, big mountain in the way. There are other places you can't get it. You can check availability using the following link, it is all in French but you should be able to 'muddle through'.

http://www.tnttest.org/

Danny,

thanks very much for the info - it looks like it is feasible to do.

I realise the recording limitations with just one cable, but I'm a bit concerned about trying to pull another cable through as I'm unsure of the pathway and would hate to get stuck halfway...

OH, and sue, an arial is not an option I'm afraid, we're about 35 metres from a 30 metre cliff topped by a ruined chateau.  In fact UK TV is a bit tricky as they inconsiderately built the chateau between us and the satelitte.  Just no forward planning!

Thanks again all