Orange doing things I don't want

I stupidly accepted Orange's offer of a download to help resolve problems with my Livebox (which certainly happen from time to time). I now have an icon on my desktop that says "Assistance Orange".

Having tried it, it doesn't seem to work very well (for example, it refused to believe what my Livebox password was, but eventually accepted it after several tries - and I hadn't mistyped it). That's not the problem though.

Since downloading it, whenever I open a new tab in my browser (Mozilla Firefox) it opens in the "Portail Orange" (ie at this page: http://www.orange.fr/portail). I don't want that at all - previously Firefox would offer me a selection of previously opened windows, which I found quite helpful.

Has anyone had the same experience, and have they got rid of it?

Can't you edit that in Firefox?

In mine I go to edit /preferences/general/start up

navigate to the page I want and then click 'use the current page'

to get the selection of pages I then click the first tab button and I get a page with 9 possible windows

Thanks Norman, that has helped - I found that the Portail Orange had been added as a home page to the two that I normally have. I've now deleted it.

On my version of Firefox (15.0) it's tools/options/general/startup, btw.

But I don't seem to be able to get back to the nine preview tabs that I used to get when I selected a new tab.  There's presumably a setting for it somewhere but I can't find it! I'd guess Orange managed to overwrite it somehow.

Perhaps it will show up when you have visited several sites since the change?

On my 9 tab page I notice 9 tiny buttons top right with the option to hide the new tabs page.

Perhaps that option is pressed on yours?

In View toolbars there is an option customise toolbars and one of those is tool bar groups.

perhaps that might help.

You can remove the Orange software if you want, it won't destroy the settings in your Livebox. Many people just don't bother with the Orange software as, not to put to fine a word on it, junk.

To remove the software first look in the Orange folder (if there is one) via 'Windows Start button' bottom left then 'All Programs' and 'Orange', there may be a de-installation or remove option. If not go to the 'Control Panel' + 'Programs and Features' then highlight the Orange program and click on 'Unistall' at the top of the window. This should not in anyway upset your Orange box configuration.

To get to your Orange box configuration manually open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 and you should get the screen from the Livebox. The user name is Admin and the default password is Admin. You can also change the interface language to English once your logged in to the box. If you don't understand routers then don't 'fiddle' with any of the settings. The only thing I would suggest you change is the password as 'admin' is the one they put on all Liveboxs.

[quote user="NormanH"]

On my 9 tab page I notice 9 tiny buttons top right with the option to hide the new tabs page.

Perhaps that option is pressed on yours?

[/quote]

Thanks NormanH, that just solved my problem - I hated being presented with the last 9 pages I'd visited - when I want a new tab, it'sbecaue I want to go somewhere else.  The tabs were showing sites I visit regularly (like this one!) and which I go to via my bookmarks. 

Clear screen now presented in a new tab -  perfect!

[quote user="Quillan"]

You can remove the Orange software if you want, it won't destroy the settings in your Livebox.

[Thanks, I knew that - this is something new, an offer that arrived yesterday with a moody picture of a rocky shore and lighthouse, and the words "Assistance Livebox pour vous faciliter".]

Many people just don't bother with the Orange software as, not to put to fine a word on it, junk.

[Agreed]

To remove the software first look in the Orange folder (if there is one) via 'Windows Start button' bottom left then 'All Programs' and 'Orange', there may be a de-installation or remove option. If not go to the 'Control Panel' + 'Programs and Features' then highlight the Orange program and click on 'Unistall' at the top of the window. This should not in anyway upset your Orange box configuration.

[I should have thought of that myself - it's now uninstalled]

To get to your Orange box configuration manually open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 and you should get the screen from the Livebox. The user name is Admin and the default password is Admin. You can also change the interface language to English once your logged in to the box. If you don't understand routers then don't 'fiddle' with any of the settings.

[Sensible advice, except that when visitors come and wish to use our WiFi, we usually have to go into the Livebox - and the simplest way to do that is just to type "Livebox" into the browser - and then add the MAC address of their computer/iPhone/iPad etc. One of the mixed blessings of the updated Livebox is its baffling security settings. Regrettably, fiddling is essential even if I don't understand routers]

The only thing I would suggest you change is the password as 'admin' is the one they put on all Liveboxs.

[If I do that I'll never remember the new password!]

[/quote]

Thanks to everyone. I'll let you know if uninstalling the Assistance program cures the issues. But my own suggestion to others is not to download the free offered software in the first place.

Gorblimey it was persistent.

I got rid of Orange Assistance but the problem with Firefox remained. I then discovered that Orange had obligingly installed a small suite of programmes that I hadn't asked for, so after uninstalling a further three bits of unwanted software, and cleaning up Firefox yet again, I was back to where I was before.

And my nine sample tabs have now re-appeared too.

I've still got an unwanted "Orange" search application in the drop-down box at the top right hand corner of the screen, and I can't find any way to kill that, but at least if I don't use it it keeps out of the way.

There's a lesson there somewhere. Something about Greeks bearing gifts?

When somebody comes to visit let them 'find the network' then simply press the button to the right of the lights on your Livebox and they will get connected. Unless of course you have the old Livebox that is wedge shape and reminds you of semi open book. With the Livebox 2 (oblong one with the corner cut off) you should not need to enter the Livebox to give them Internet access.

[quote user="Quillan"]When somebody comes to visit let them 'find the network' then simply press the button to the right of the lights on your Livebox and they will get connected. Unless of course you have the old Livebox that is wedge shape and reminds you of semi open book. With the Livebox 2 (oblong one with the corner cut off) you should not need to enter the Livebox to give them Internet access.[/quote]

Q - we've found that pressing that button never helps. I know it's there, and I know that's what it is for, but just the same we have tried it repeatedly without effect. Either our visitors' bit of technology really does log on to our WiFi automatically, or we have to enter their MAC address. It may be the way we've set up the new-style Livebox 2 (though we did that under advice from the Orange helpline), but believe me, it's the only thing that works.

For anyone else with this problem, after logging onto the Livebox address, it's Settings/Livebox/WiFi Settings/Paired Devices, then "Add" the device at the bottom of the list. You can only enter the MAC address: the other fields fill themselves in when the device is accepted.

And I rather assume that Orange must have contemplated customers doing this, or otherwise there would be no need for this useful screen.

Finally, I also discovered that the Livebox will only pair with a limited number of devices (it's about 20 - I forgot to count), and that devices that pair automatically can knock a previously paired device off the list. Then if the list is full, the "Add" button becomes greyed out, and you'll need to delete a device before you can add a new one.

I have never used the button yet all my visitors can connect simply by finding the signal and then entering my phone number as the PW.

My Livebox is set for:

Security Key = my phone number (but can be almost anything you like)

Security Mode = WPA/WPA2 (TKIP/AES)

Enable Easy Pairing ticked

I'd like to turn it off altogether if I could but if I select 'No Security' it automatically enables MAC filtering which is NOT no security !

Yes, ANO, I think your set-up is a simpler one than mine.

Except, curiously, with "No security" set and MAC filtering ticked, some devices actually do log on automatically, and some require the MAC number to be pushed into the Livebox. There doesn't seem to be any logic as to which do and which don't - it might even have something to do with the WiFi extender we are using. Now we know what to do it isn't that much trouble, and it also gives us the opportunity - or at least, it does sometimes - to ask visitors not to do any illegal downloading while they are staying.

I may try the alternative settings you suggest (with an easy password) someday, when there aren't any visitors who have to have constant internet access!