My desktop's fan has suddenly become very noisy (from first turning it on yesterday.)  I've done a full backup in case the thing blows up but in general terms, should I worry about this?  I'm off to the UK in a couple of weeks and my instinct is to bung it in to be repaired while I'm away but is it worth it - does the noise presage doom or is it just an annoyance I could put up with?

I would get it looked at. It it is either the CPU or power supply fan it is cheap (the labour will probably be a lot more than the cost of a fan) to replace and can be done within 30 minutes (worse case). With the hot weather etc I would use the PC for very short periods just in case it stops and you think the fan has fixed it's self.

So far all I've done is to turn the music up![:D]

Seriously, thanks for the advice.  I'm not sure I'm brave enough to open the thing up, Bugs - I'd be terrified of hoovering up a vital bit of it by mistake and never knowing where to put it back.[:-))]

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Benjamin"]Try hoovering from the outside.
[/quote]Will do.  The cleaner's here tomorrow![:D][/quote]

Doesn't he live there all the time?  [:P]

[/quote]No, that would be the chef/groom/personal shopper.....[:)]

Oh, I forgot tea-boy (a mugful just appeared to remind me.)

• 2 weeks later...