Considering getting a Humax Freesat Player

We've currently got a Sony TV with inbuilt Freesat at out house in the Lot. This works very well but we'd like to be able to record programmes and we're considering buying a Humax Freesat+ HDR-1000S.

At present we don't have an internet connection but this is something we will have put in place.

A lot of the functionality of this particular Humax box (iPlayer, catchup etc) seems to be predicated on internet connectivity and I'm hoping to understand  bit more about this later today.

My question is, does anyone know how the workaround for out of UK services using programs like ExpatShield and similar work with devices like the Humax?

If only I knew, I bought my HDR1000s just before Christmas, installation seemed easy enough, but despite confirmation that it was connected it says not when iplayer is selected. Worse, it completely failed in January to function at all and was exchanged without question by JL who said that it wasn't the first.
My second installation was the same as the first, and I haven't got round to sorting it.

Thanks for the reply JJ. Not very encouraging though[:(]

Tbh, I'm not so worried about iPlayer, 4oD but it's things like the Freetime functions, Pause, going backwards from the EPG.

I'm not sure what are satellite transmission functions and which are internet reliant.

If the box is overall unstable and unreliable I don't want to shell out that kind of money

We have a Humax HDR - couple of years old now.

The iPlayer stuff doesn't work because of the rights restrictions. I hear that there is an International version of iPlayer available but only as an App on phones I think. If you had a proxy setup then that should get round things, but you will have to pay.

The other functions work OK but to get the best use out of it e.g. recording one program whist watching another then you need two feeds from your LNB.

One thing that I don't like though is that if you want to copy things you have recorded to an external device like a USB hard drive, then you need to format it in a particular way. Our version uses a Linux based operating system so doesn't recognise NTFS formatted drives, onlt FAT 16/32. So you can save stuff and rewatch it later on the Humax box, but you would need some software on your PC to watch it on that. 

I think the later Humax boxes have an inbuilt FTP server, which would allow you to copy files onto the box to watch, but you still need a USB connection to copy things off. I think it has a DNLA server as well so you could stream stuff directly to your PC or whatever, but i've not looked into that.

Edit: ours hasn't had any problems whatsoever since we bought it. Much better than the SlyBoxes - although I think I need to get a bigger dish now as since they have shifted channels onto the new satellites we sometimes lose the signal when we have bad weather. That's not the boxes problem though.

I am also in the Lot and the reception receives all the channels.

I never bothered to link my humax up to the internet as I have no need to do so.  All the go backward/record stuff does not need it.

It does all the things it is meant without the need for internet and has a hard drive to hold ample films.  Never needed to look into copying to PC.

I did end up adding another LNB which took no time at all although I was still happy without it and more happy now.

Thanks for the feedbacks.... useful.

I went over to Richer Sounds in Weybridge this morning and had a chat with them.

It appears that I can do most of the things I need without the need for an internet connection... recording, pause, rewind of a programme I'm watching. It also appears that I'd get access to the Freetime/EPG menu but wouldn't be able to use the backwards looking function or the various iPlayer services. On balance that is probably all I really need.

As I have no experience with ExPatShield and similar programs I don't really understand quite how they run. My presumption has been is they run on the PC you are using to access iPlayer etc... so how that would or could work with a device like the Humax isn't clear to me.

Just to be clear, the Humax provides all of the usual SKYplus-type functions such as record one channel while watching another, pausing live play etc. There is an EPG which covers the following 7 days and you can record programme series.

As already pointed out you will need a twin LNB and feed to do the above. I substituted "shotgun" cable for my single feed; you can pull the new cable through using the old cable as it fits the same size hole without drilling.

For iplayer the Humax has to be connected to the internet. you can use a LAN cable or as I tried, a MainsPlug system. I only tried this out for a short time; at first I got access to the iplayer menu list of programmes, but very soon the system realised from my IP address that I was outside the UK and I got no further. I haven't tried it since with ExpatShield or similar.

I'm very pleased with the box. Copying to external devices is a bit slow and the OS menu is not exactly intuitive. The handset seems to be weakening on one or two buttons, but it does get a lot of use and it's nearly 3 years old now. Replacements are available in any case.

Thanks Sid. You've confirmed my understanding of the general functionality and setup.

The bit I still don't understand is how ExpatShield could be applied to Humax box. Presumably Expatshield is installed on a PC but then how is this applied to the Humax?  at the router?

Hmm! I obviously opened my mouth without putting the brain in gear!  You're right; the Humax is connected via the local LAN to the router, not the PC.

All of the software I've seen, like ExPat and Hola for example, allow you to watch iplayer on the PC only.

Sorry about the misinformation. When I tried the Humax link, probably 2 years ago now, it just connected via the router but that was shut down pretty quickly afterwards. 

Thanks Sid. No problem about your feedback. This was the area that had/has me confused and with no practical experience of using ExPatShield I can't work out if it can be used in conjunction with Humax type devices or not.

One other possibility for UK catch up TV -  iPlayer etc

If the computer and TV are HDMI capable and the graphics card supports multi monitor use, forget the Humax box and use Expat shield on the computer. Connect an HDMI cable direct from computer to TV (will also probably need a stereo audio cable, connected in the same way). The TV just acts like an extra (bigger) monitor.

Many recent TVs and computers will support this.

Danny

Thanks for both posts Danny. I don't think I'll go down to VPN route but it's good to know just in case.

My TV and laptop can both handle the HDMI connections and multi-monitor solution. However, it then becomes a bit of a drag to start cabling up just to watch iPlayer. But again, at least a solution if I got desperate.

The real shame is that other than the VPN solution, it degrades the functionality of the new Humax boxes with their ability to "go backwards" through their programme guide.

Thanks again...

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Sorry if this is late for everyone but the Foxsat works quite well over the internet using a system called SmartDNS (http://www.overplay.net/#a_aid=rjstott follow the link if you want to know more). In fact it works with most devices where you can access the DNS setting field, so iPad is also good. An alternative costing a bit more is to buy a router that allows a VPN to be established by the router. You can also do this using a PC but it is very messy as you have to connect the Humax to the PC by ethernet and then use wifi from the PC.

The only downside I have with the SmartDNS solution is when the power goes off and Orange give you a new IP address it is necessary to reinitialise the SmartDNS system using a PC. The good part is it costs only 5 USD and you can sign up for a single month to try it. Also no annoying adverts from Expatshield!

Richard