Orange - chat with an advisor!

Don't get the wrong idea... you keep your clothes on for this one. [:-))]

My internet speed has been very poor for about 3 weeks, I'm on Orange Découverte 2mega but the speed has been around 1 mega after 12 months at the advertised max of 2mega. I hesitate to phone their helpline, I can manage the language but I simply don't hear very well, particularly on the phone. Last time I complained they sent an engineer to check the line at my end, and he found that it was OK, but blamed my modem (I was still using my old Netgear DG834 which must have been getting on for 12 years old!). I've replaced the modem now so I thought I should get in touch and complain again. There is now a "chat" facility where you can type your conversation (it may have been there before, but I didn't see it). I found this really good! It gives me time to compose my sentence in simple words, and I don't have to struggle to hear the reply! My "advisor" did a few tests, and then some "manipulations" ([;-)] her words. not mine!), and lo and behold, my speed is back to 2 mega again.  Certainly worth a try if you struggle as I do. 

About the remedy; I wonder if there is a limited supply of good connections and they just swap them around until someone else complains, and then a new person gets the dodgy connection!

Anyway, I'm all right, Jack! [geek] ... for now.

About the remedy; I wonder if there is a limited supply of good

connections and they just swap them around until someone else complains,

and then a new person gets the dodgy connection!

Although I'm not with Orange I used to have the same dark suspicion with Free.

I reckoned that sometimes you got a connection to the same noeud as a really big used who gobbled up all the bandwidth.

In the end I got them to come and check, and there was corrosion in the terminal inside the FT box in the garage, where the outside wires meet the ones to the house.

I still get a big drop off in the evenings though...

Well done for braving the  Orange Forum [:)]

Orange has DLM (dynamic line management) turned on by default. This will drive the maximum speed your modem will try to achieve down when the line is bad. This will give you a (bit) more reliable internet connection, but at low(er) speed. As most people will not complain as long as the connection is working this feature considerably reduces the amount of complaints and helps profitability.[:)]

The big downside for the customer is that DLM will never ever restore your speed up again. So when a technician has repaired the line and good speed is possible, your speed will still not go up again unless you specifically ask for it.

You can remove DLM by filling out the form on the site here: http://assistance.orange.fr/vos-questions-sur-le-dlm-4312.php (follow the link at the bottom)

DLM will then be removed within a couple of hours and you get confirmation by email.

I'd advise everybody to remove DLM.

P.S.

découverte 2 mega is old and expensive. Change to découverte 8 mega gives you more speed and is cheaper. (€ 21/month)

Is the DLM business something similar to the options you get with Free?

[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bfb_album/media/Screenshotfrom2013-05-16161722_zps77972dd4.png.html][IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/Screenshotfrom2013-05-16161722_zps77972dd4.png[/IMG][/URL]

@NormanH: I don't think so. DLM simply reduces the maximum speed of the connection. E.g. a 20 Mb subscription should normally report 'max 20' to the home modem and DLM can change that down to 1 Mbit. The user can check  a DLM intervention by verifying that the maximum allowed speed (Max. DSLAM throughput) reported by the modem corresponds with the subscription and should not be lower. The attainable speed reported by the modem is what is technically feasible.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Did they charge you for the visit Norman?

What demarches did they or you have to go through before they agreed on a site visit?

[/quote]

No it was free once they had run various tests and agreed that the speed I was getting was ridiculously low given my distance from the exchange and the other line characteristics.

Basically I called the help line and a very competent chap was able to see what I was on about. In some way he could 'read' my connection speed..

[quote user="Jako"]

découverte 2 mega is old and expensive. Change to découverte 8 mega gives you more speed and is cheaper. (€ 21/month)
[/quote]

Thanks for the DLM info. That's useful and I didn't know about it.

I don't really have a choice about the speed; 2 mega is the maximum where I live, virtually at the end of the line! I pay 21€ and would probably be prepared to pay more if I could get 8mega... oh the thought of it!  Dream on.  [:D]

[quote user="Jako"]découverte 2 mega is old and expensive. Change to découverte 8 mega gives you more speed and is cheaper. (€ 21/month)[/quote]That is a misleading statement, if your line only supports 2mb then no other package can or will give you more.

Not entirely true, that depends on the reason why 2 mega is the maximum.

This is only correct when your exchange supports ADSL1 at a maximum speed of 2 mega. But most exchanges have already evolved to ADSL2+ without notifying the customers. In virtually all scenario's this means that changing from 2 mega to 8 mega will also change protocol to ADSL2+ and that almost always will give you better speed. I know a guy who lives at 6 kms from the exchange who changed from 1 megamax (got 512 reADSL) to 8 megamax and even gets the 8 mega reliable now.

[quote user="Jako"]I know a guy who lives at 6 kms from the exchange who changed from 1 megamax (got 512 reADSL) to 8 megamax and even gets the 8 mega reliable now.[/quote]Sorry but that is utterly impossible !

6km is 6km whichever way you cut it and 8mB on ADSL2+ implies a line length of about half that.

[img]http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/networking-nas/147156d1257797653-broadband-speed-internode-adsl2-distance.jpg[/img]

You are completely right, in theory. And that, my friend, is the difference between theory and practice.

I live at 3.2 km from the exchange and get 16 Mbps, also impossible, in theory.

The 8 Mega offer is still available, just hidden. It is now just called 'decouverte sans engagement' and hidden behind 'autres offres'

Hmmm.

You cannot defy the laws of physics.

Assuming all connections along the way are good the losses on any given line are a simple product of the distance and the gauge of the wire or wires it is comprised of.

The figures you get from the likes of Degrouptest and DSLValley etc. are completely theoretical and are based on nothing more than sometimes decades old FT records which in many cases have been poorly maintained and updated.

The one single reasonably accurate statistic in the whole system is the attenuation your router reports - and that is ?

I'm a bystander in this "debate" but interested nonethless. Is this what you mean ANO ?

[IMG]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k611/basstrom79/routerstats_zpsf6e3ccc0.jpg[/IMG]

In essence yes, the downstream line attenuation and the noise margin are the only figures which really tell you what your line is like.

With figures like yours, particularly the excellent noise margin, I would be expecting much better than 2424 Kbps - perhaps double or more - but it seems FT have your line clamped down to 2.2mb, much the same as in my own case.

Does your 40.5dB attenuation figure tally with what Degrouptest etc. report ?