Internet, but no telephone - orange

Hello, I would be grateful for any advice re. the following:

We had a crash of thunder on Tuesday evening and the TV, sky box, orange box went out (plugged into one of the protective multi adapters). The electricity had tripped and everything came back on easily enough except for the telephone (via orange box). The internet is working and all the green lights are as they should be. Bought another telephone, but it is still "dead". Tried re-setting box with the on/off button, and doing it again by  unplugging everything. I called into the Orange shop, they just looked puzzled when I told them that all the green lights were on and internet working.

The online testing service tells me that I have internet and telephone service.

Could it have blown the adsl adapter that goes from the blue socket in the box? Not sure what to do next, time to call France Telecom do you think?

Thanks, Regards Hester.

Here is a clue [;-)][quote user="Hester"]everything came back on easily enough except for the telephone (via orange box).[/quote]

Have you tried the telephone test in the Livebox, it should ring your phone and if it doesn't then phone Orange again because it should !

Yeah, but I like confirmation, because many people think they have a different solution than they have in reality.

When the phone is connected to the livebox there is no need for an adsl filter as the analogue POTS signal is absent.

If the phone is connected to the filter try it without filter and  when that works the filter is malfunctioning. When no dialtone without filter call FT.

If the phone is connected to the livebox: livebox is malfunctioning.

Why not simply phone Orange on a mobile (there is an English speaking helpline if you want). They can test the LiveBox remotely and check the line. If there is a problem they give you a returns number on the phone, you take the box to your local Orange shop and they give you a new one. Alternatively they will send somebody round to fix the line.

We had a problem exactly the same years ago and it was the line. Because ADSL boxes parity check the data they can reconstruct data blocks which makes the Internet speed look slower than normal but it can't deal with the phone side for some reason hence the Internet appears to work and the phone does not. In our case turned out to be a dodgy connection up a local pole somewhere. Two minutes to make a new joint and all was well. Simples.

Thanks for the replies. Just got back onto internet again as did a major re-set (pushing the little button) after an internet chat with orange and lost my wi-fi! Yes will ring them I think, but would like to try the livebox test, how does that work please? Regards, hester.

Just an update for anyone else who may have problems. After another internet "chat", doing various tests again, a final test which involved plugging a phone directly into the socket (instead of livebox), confirmed to Orange that I needed to exchange the box. There was an engaged tone which had been dead when was plugged into livebox. Exchanged box yesterday afternoon at local Orange boutique and finally got connected again this morning. Didn't happen within the few hours that I had been told it would, but finally kicked in after the blue mis a jour light flashed around for about forty minutes. So although the green light on old box was reading all Ok, it wasn't. Regards, Hester.