Hi,

For all those that have been following the wi fi saga I now have another problem that I need to fix and its my lap top.Whilst trying to fit the wi fi I have somehow turned something off on my lap top with window 8 and it will now not connect to the internet.It finds all the available connections but will not connect to them and its the same if I hard wire it as well,

Any suggestions I have had others look at it but to avail.after doing all the basic configurations.

Thanks

Try working through the Microsoft help pages HERE.

I recently had a laptop (1 year old) that would not connect and it was the pre-installed virus checker that came with the computer when it was new. The owner did not pay for the program after the free trial had ended and installed another free checker on top. After uninstalling both programs the machine worked properly.

Try bringing up Device Manager then expand Network Adapters then right click on your Wireless adapter and uninstall it, do not at this stage choose to uninstall the drivers.

Restart and Windows will find it again and reinstall it.

What this will do is wipe out any previous settings the adapter may have had which can sometimes be the solution to connection problems.

If it doesn't work then try again but this time uninstalling the drivers but before you do make sure you have them somewhere or know where to get them as Windows may not be able to find them on it's own.

You can do the same with the ethernet adapter.

My next thought is windows firewall. I had Mckafee firewall which wipes out the windows default firewall rules. When I binned Mckafee to return to Windows own firewall I had no firewall policy. Many processes look at the the firewall policy to see if the process is permitted. All sorts of processes had become blocked and I couldn't run home networks or access the internet over WIFI. Unfortunately you can't reinstall Windows firewall except by a complete system rebuild. I was lucky to have an identical machine where I could export the policy rules from the registry and repair my machine. This was for Windows 7 and I notice you are on 8. Hope this helps.

[quote user="johnycarper"]Thanks for the reply have tried to do this and when I click on device manager and network adapters I get these come up which is the correct one as I am not sure. Bluetooth device(personal area network)#2 Bluetooth device (rfcomm protocol tdi) #2 intel(r)centrino(r)advanced-n6235 Thanks.[/quote]

Its the Intel one, try this Intel specific link for Windows 8.1

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Intel+Centrino+Advanced-N+6235+Wireless+Network+Adapter&vendor=Intel&Type=Hardware&tempOsid=Windows+8.1

[quote user="Kong"]My next thought is windows firewall. I had Mckafee firewall which wipes out the windows default firewall rules. When I binned Mckafee to return to Windows own firewall I had no firewall policy. Many processes look at the the firewall policy to see if the process is permitted. All sorts of processes had become blocked and I couldn't run home networks or access the internet over WIFI. Unfortunately you can't reinstall Windows firewall except by a complete system rebuild. I was lucky to have an identical machine where I could export the policy rules from the registry and repair my machine. This was for Windows 7 and I notice you are on 8. Hope this helps.[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree, it was Macafee on my friends computer as well. Do you have that program on yours JohnyC?