Insurance for mobile phone

[quote user="Quillan"]I understand why it works and all that but it is just that I thought it so funny. I could see all sorts of scenarios being played out. I hope they then told them not to activate the oven. [;-)][/quote]

Yes me too,

Exhibit A M'lud oh sorry no that's my Thai curry for lunch! [:D]

I also think it far more likely that thieves would just remove the SIM to be honest. They would have to break the passcode first and know my itunes password so it is surely only the £450 of hardware that they want. It isn't like a computer with a hard drive.

OH has a French one and I have an English one which allows me to transfer all my calls and data to France. I could have taken out insurance but it was £8 a month instead of the £3 my daughter pays on her content insurance. The French one is a second-hand phone with SIM only.

[quote user="EmilyA"]I also think it far more likely that thieves would just remove the SIM to be honest. They would have to break the passcode first and know my itunes password so it is surely only the £450 of hardware that they want. It isn't like a computer with a hard drive.[/quote]

The SIM password can be broke in about 5 to 10 minutes, it is quite simple to do and Web is full of instructions on how to do it.

Itunes etc and Icloud well ask a few celebrities about how their naked pictures got onto Facebook. Icloud may be OK for teenagers with little or know sensitive data but for adults and companes it is a no no because all of them have been proved not to be secure. I get a couple of emails every month offering to sell me verified passwords to all sorts of email addresses, social networks and Cloud accounts. I mention this just to show whats 'out there'.

Fortunatly those with Android devices can use MyPhoneExplorer that works with any make of Android tablet and phone via your WiFi, cable or BlueTooth to backup (or sync) your tablet/phone data to your PC and then onto a CD/DVD or external drive if you wish.

Like any computer, tablet or phone, whatever operating system they use, your data (including contacts etc) is the most valuable thing and in comparison the value of said item is peanuts because you can always buy another.

Anyway going back to your original question out of interest I asked at my local AXA broker this morning who pointed out that it is included in my contents insurance. There is an access (on my policy) of €100. I suspect the other French insurance companies may include it in their price or you may have to move 'up' to the next level of insurance.

[quote user="EmilyA"]Ah thanks, that is useful to know. We have another six months on our contents insurance, so will start looking at alternatives.[/quote]

You may be suprised what is covered. I bought a new digital SLR camera and lenses. Dropped them (and me!) in the river a week later. Only cost me €100 to get the lot replaced.

[quote user="EmilyA"]Ah thanks, that is useful to know. We have another six months on our contents insurance, so will start looking at alternatives.[/quote]

Don't forget the correct procedure for having the Gaul to take your business to another insurer. That starts about 3 months before the end of the old policy and needs a registered letter (prepared to be corrected on this)

[quote user="Quillan"]

You may be suprised what is covered. I bought a new digital SLR camera and lenses. Dropped them (and me!) in the river a week later. Only cost me €100 to get the lot replaced.

[/quote]

They replaced an entire river? [;-)]

I am bemused by why it seems that 99% of people must have these "must have" phones that by all accounts cost a fortune, are very stealable, are very fragile and as for all your talk about apps, clouds, androids and whatever else, well I am quite pleased to not have a clue what you are all talking about.

My phone broke last week, the microphone ceased to function, I had a spare which cost less than a tenner from E-bay and I replaced that with another from the same source, same price delivered the next day, that is my insurance [:P]

[quote user="Chancer"]

I am bemused by why it seems that 99% of people must have these "must have" phones that by all accounts cost a fortune, are very stealable, are very fragile and as for all your talk about apps, clouds, androids and whatever else, well I am quite pleased to not have a clue what you are all talking about.

My phone broke last week, the microphone ceased to function, I had a spare which cost less than a tenner from E-bay and I replaced that with another from the same source, same price delivered the next day, that is my insurance [:P]

[/quote]

Just a tool like anything else, if you just need a phone fine if you need additional stuff then of up the list of functions we go.  have to admire how they squeeze it all in.  I don't have mine insured as I have an earlier model that I would use if there was a problem and being not an Iphone replacements could be bought via Ebay for not very much.

Yes the functionality enables all sorts of usefull things to be added but all I hear about or read about are things which cost loads of money when they go wrong, become connected abroad etc and all of them to me at least are things that the human race once lived happily without and in ignorance of, it just seems a very expensive and complicated slippery slope to me.

Living happily without and in ignorance of, that describes me well [:D]

Sorry haven't read all the thread so it may have been said, but you can get insurance for mobile devices from La Poste, I was looking at a leaflet advertising it while I queuing up just the other day. It didn't look a bad deal for those who need it, and pretty much a one-step subscription process. But since I'm more of Chancer's philosophy and don't invest more than I can afford to lose in these things, I didn't bother to remember what the premiums are.

[quote user="Théière"]Chancer, dive tables or dive computer?
[/quote]

I bought my first ever dive computer a couple of years ago, it was a very old and in the scheme of things obsolete one dirt cheap on E-bay, I took a punt that I could replace the battery and reseal it with oïl, cant even recall the name, Uwatec Aladin or something, its also unique compared to the modern stuff in that it has a large display for my old eyes and its built into the console so I can hold it further away thatna wrist mounted one which helps with my long sightedness. Obsolete even for me now that I am Nitrox qualified as its an air only one.

Having learnt 22 years ago I find myself in a minority of one in that I still dive with and plan my dive with tables, I also have the depths and times imprinted in my brain so the dive computer is only a convenient aid to me that allows me to push the envelope a little whereas for others they are helpless without one.

these days everybody trains with tables and has to use them to pass their exams and then thats it, sometimes when I lead a group I make them all plan their dives, especially repetitive ones using the tables and most havnt a clue how to. I worry that one day someones computer is going to tell them a connerie, that they can dive deeper and stay longer than is safe and that they have no notion that it is wrong and dangerously so.