Internet working but no telephone?

Hi

I have just moved house and cancelled my Orange contract (livebox/telephone package) and rearranged connection at my new house.

Orange have told me that it will take approx. 15 days to have the new line connected. We are now into 7 days and the line has been activated - the internet works fine using my Livebox2 that I have not yet returned to Orange (doing it this weekend). However,  I am unable to make telephone calls.

Could this be because I am using the Livebox from my old property?

Should I be waiting for the new Livebox to come through the post - really not sure how these things work?

Many Thanks

We had exactly the same when we had telephone/internet installed for the first time. The internet worked but we had to wait around 12 days for the telephone to kick into life (despite chasing). I've never understood why the two services never went live concurrently... very archaic.

Thankyou both for your replies.

I think it is just a case of waiting for the phone to kick in - as you sayDerekJ...very archaic.

I was just concerned that it was the livebox from my previous house that was causing the problem. I was going to return the Livebox this weekend, but I think I will hang onto it until my new one arrives. At least that way I maintain internet access.

I'm afraid it's just a waiting game although jollying them along won't hurt.

Your old Livebox should work.

Being

a retired telecommunications engineer I can't even begin to imagine why

in this day and age it should take more than minutes to set these

things up but somehow it does.

I had similar when I first signed up with Orange but in my case it turned out that the new Livebox they had sent me was about 2 iterations of firmware out of date and try as they did to force it to update it just refused to.

This went on for 3 or 4 days at which point they chucked in the towel and gave me an authorisation number to get a new Livebox from my local shop but before I had a chance to act on that for reasons known only to itself the existing Livebox suddenly decided to play ball and update after which all was well.

Although it should all happen automatically it won't hurt to reboot the Livebox a couple of times a day.

Finally I'm quite interested to know what Orange are dishing out now, whether it's still the white oblong Livebox 2 or if it's the black Zen so when you have got sorted and exchanged your box please come back at tell us which they gave you.

Thanks for your reply 'Another'.

I will keep re-booting the livebox and testing the line from Orange Espace Client - as this will do no harm.

I am using the Livebox 2 from my old house at the moment, but that should really be returned this weekend as you only get 10 days to return. They will probably just charge me for going over the 10 days??? When the new Livebox arrives I will let you know if it is the new 'Zen'.

What I have found today is that if I ring the new number from my mobile - the home phone does NOT ring but the Orange answer service kicks and you can leave a message. I have not checked, but if I was to leave a message it would probably go to my online Orange Messagerie box.

However, when I attempt to dial out from the home phone, I instantly get a recorded message in french - which I am struggling to understand, but it is something about the 'Livebox'.

The phone is definately connected to the Livebox correctly as I have tested that on Orange on-line and the phone does ring.

I will keep waiting and testing............ 

[quote user="deirdre"]

Thanks for your reply 'Another'.

I will keep re-booting the livebox and testing the line from Orange Espace Client - as this will do no harm.

[/quote]

You don't need to, the light (under the picture of the phone) on the LiveBox will just come on when they have made the change.

[quote user="AnOther"]You can also look in the Livebox under the 'my telephone' tab, is should (eventually !) say 'available' and there is a test button there too.

Access the Livebox by typing 192.168.1.1 into your browser, user name and password are both    admin
[/quote]

And don't forget to take the opportunity to change the password.

[quote user="deirdre"]

Hi

I have just moved house and cancelled my Orange contract (livebox/telephone package) and rearranged connection at my new house.

Orange have told me that it will take approx. 15 days to have the new line connected. We are now into 7 days and the line has been activated - the internet works fine using my Livebox2 that I have not yet returned to Orange (doing it this weekend). However,  I am unable to make telephone calls.

Could this be because I am using the Livebox from my old property?

Should I be waiting for the new Livebox to come through the post - really not sure how these things work?

Many Thanks

[/quote]

We had this problem when we took our livebox with us from our old property,.  We'd not had the internet phone before, and it took an afternoon's conversation with the French helpline (courtesy of one of our French friends visiting us) to sort it out.  She earned her evening meal that day!

May be worth a phone call just to be sure.

At last - telephone is working.

The new livebox has still not turned up - tracking shows that it is being returned to 'Orange', unable to find address.

I cannot be sure, but I think the problem may have been down to using the Livebox from my old address. Took a long conversation with an Orange Technician to sort the problem, we went into all sorts of tabs/settings to change things.....eventually the phone kicked in (using the old box).

For 'Another' - Although the new box has still not arrived - Orange have confirmed that it would NOT be the new black Zen box, it will be the Livebox 2 .

Thankyou all for your help.

Deidre,

That's exactly what we had to do .. once we had established what the problem was - that the old box had not be updated to the new requirements ...

Glad it's sorted, always worth a phone call when you've given them enough time to put all into place ...