Wanted : A gizmo

I am trying to set up a means of downloading to my network storage material from the sat box.

What I need is a device which takes in either an RGB signal or Composite (or even -gawd 'elp us -  RF) and squirts it out as data a la USB into a HDD, or up CAT5 to the storage.

Yes - a TV/video card in a pc will do this, but I don't have the space in the living room for a full size pc,  I do, however, have space for a set top box or some sort of black box. Does anything like this exist?

Try Pinnacle Video Capture device, its free standing.

Easy connection - Just plug it into a USB 2.0 or 1.1 port

Flexible recording - Record video from any analogue source: camcorder, set-top box, game console or VCR

It may help narrow the search. I used one a long time ago to record from a VCR.

Any Open Linux satbox can do this, recording straight from the box to a NAS. The only problem is that they do not (yet) support the new sky viewing cards, but if it does not have to be Sky the easiest option is to replace your current satbox for an Open Linux satbox.

[quote user="Jako"]Any Open Linux satbox can do this, recording straight from the box to a NAS. The only problem is that they do not (yet) support the new sky viewing cards, but if it does not have to be Sky the easiest option is to replace your current satbox for an Open Linux satbox.
[/quote]

Sorry to go off a bit but what does the 'new' Sky viewing card give you (other than paid TV) that Freesat doesn't?

Nothing, a Sky viewing card is obviously only relevant for pay TV, but I don't know what sat box the TS is using.

A simple Open Linux box goes for as low as €130,- (Vu+ zero, xtrend ET4000, max digital xp1000) and they can all record HD content to a NAS or copy content from a local attached HDD to a NAS. A separate 'gismo' to convert analogue to digital and then to IP will probably cost more, if it exists.

More expensive Linux boxes even have a HDMI-IN connector to record or stream HD content from an external device like a Sky box, as long as HDCP content protection is not active in the signal and there are even 'black boxes' on the market to remove HDCP from the signal.