Currently with Orange and looking at options. Currently with Optimale but do not use the TV part. Looked up and SFR offer phone and internet for 28,99. Orange also have an offer at this price including international calls. However, Orange charge 3 euros per month for the Livebox. Is Livebox actually needed or could I use any modem?

I believe, but I might be wrong, that the issue with using a non Livebox is that if you are using the standard voip phone (i.e. your phone is plugged into the Livebox and not the phone socket) it won't work on another router with their system. Something to do with the phone being paired to the Livebox allegedly.

I have always used a rented Livebox and when I have had a problem its been dealt with promptly. Like any of these things if you use a 'non standard' router i.e. not theirs they will only diagnose to the end of the phone in your house and no further even if the problem is in your computer and not the router. It just depends who you get when you ask for support. It's a good cop out if the support person is lazy or can't be bothered.

Everyone has a horror story to tell about this company or that but I have had Wanadoo/Orange for 13 years and have been more than happy with their service. Been tempted to change by price but at the end of the day better the devil you know and all that. For me it's like Ryanair, loads of people complain but they forget how expensive and difficult it was before. When we paid for the phone separately and my wife used to phone her family in the UK our bills used to be massive (100 plus Euros a month) in comparison to now and we don't argue about how long she is on the phone.

[quote user="PaulT"]Currently with Orange and looking at options. Currently with Optimale but do not use the TV part. Looked up and SFR offer phone and internet for 28,99. Orange also have an offer at this price including international calls. However, Orange charge 3 euros per month for the Livebox. Is Livebox actually needed or could I use any modem?[/quote]

If you don't want the Orange TV, go to Orange's low cost option www.sosh.fr, where for 29.99€ you will get all the Orange Internet & Calls offer (plus calls to French mobiles from VOIP line), plus a mobile line (SIM card) with 2 hours of calls a month. The Livebox is included in this price (so no 3€ a month to add on).

You will be changed over automatically within a few days of changing, and you will not lose any services during the changeover.

You will also be able to keep your current Livebox (if you want).

[quote user="PaulT"]Crabtree, was going to phone the Orange English helpline - are there separate contacts for sosh?[/quote]

I looked into Sosh because it looked on the surface to be a good deal. There is no dedicated English helpline for Sosh and as we can't have TNT we need satellite TV for France. Sosh is Orange (as said) and we can't get an Orange signal down here and when you do get it the signal is very bad hence I use SFR for the mobile so the SIM card for Sosh, Orange and Free is useless here even though it's a good deal.

[quote user="PaulT"]Crabtree, was going to phone the Orange English helpline - are there separate contacts for sosh?[/quote]

SOSH is a completely on-line service. You contact them on-line, easy to use, and if you do not speak too much French, you can just copy and paste from a translator. That is the good thing of having the mobile line as well, as if you have a problem you can still contact them. I hope this is not going to put the spanner in the works, but I have been with them for a year without any problem. I have spoken to them on-line using their 'chat' and everything went very smoothly.

To sign up go here: http://boutique.orange.fr/sosh-mobile-livebox, click in the yellow box "Tester votre ligne ou votre adresse", and then follow the prompts.

[quote user="crabtree"][quote user="PaulT"]Crabtree, was going to phone the Orange English helpline - are there separate contacts for sosh?[/quote]

SOSH is a completely on-line service. You contact them on-line, easy to use, and if you do not speak too much French, you can just copy and paste from a translator. That is the good thing of having the mobile line as well, as if you have a problem you can still contact them. I hope this is not going to put the spanner in the works, but I have been with them for a year without any problem. I have spoken to them on-line using their 'chat' and everything went very smoothly.

To sign up go here: http://boutique.orange.fr/sosh-mobile-livebox, click in the yellow box "Tester votre ligne ou votre adresse", and then follow the prompts.

[/quote]

I don't want to come across as being sarcastic but if your router or line is down how do you 'chat' to them if it is only an online service? I have to say this is something I didn't know before and had I got as far as signing up this would have put me off. With Orange at least I can call them on my mobile and speak to a person. As a matter of interest more for the second home users do they have a turn off and turn on service like Orange so you can have the whole thing turned off /disconnected when in the UK and only pay for when you ask it to be put on/reconnected again when you come over?

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="crabtree"][quote user="PaulT"]Crabtree, was going to phone the Orange English helpline - are there separate contacts for sosh?[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't want to come across as being sarcastic but if your router or line is down how do you 'chat' to them if it is only an online service? I have to say this is something I didn't know before and had I got as far as signing up this would have put me off. With Orange at least I can call them on my mobile and speak to a person. As a matter of interest more for the second home users do they have a turn off and turn on service like Orange so you can have the whole thing turned off /disconnected when in the UK and only pay for when you ask it to be put on/reconnected again when you come over?

[/quote]

That is why I mentioned that the mobile line is handy. You contact them (by internet or phone) using the mobile, which of course is a completely different line (being mobile) and not a landline. I should have said there is a telephone number to call if you need, but I am not aware of an English speaking helpline. But then we are in France, where they speak French!

In relation to the second home question I cannot help, as, like many, I live here permanently.

Mmm, interesting. Using your link Crabtree the webpage shows my name, obviously the Orange link and it recognises the IP address. Entered my number, an Orange line and it tells me that 'no fixed line found'! It does have the option to say 'this is my line'. Perhaps Orange do not like migration.

[quote user="PaulT"]Sorry to be a pain, it was a 12 month contract with Orange and taken out nearly 3 years ago so out of contract. If I sign up with a new provider do I have to cancel with Orange or does the new supplier handle all of that?[/quote]

Regarding the line check, I would suggest that you first log out of your Orange account, then do the check. If that does not work, if you want to send me your phone number by PM, I will try it for you.

If you move to SOSH you will not have to cancel anything with Orange. If you move to another provider you may well have to, using a registered letter. If you move to another provider I would advise a cancellation letter just to be on the safe side!

[quote user="crabtree"]

where for 29.99€ you will get all the Orange Internet & Calls offer (plus calls to French mobiles from VOIP line), plus a mobile line (SIM card) with 2 hours of calls a month. The Livebox is included in this price (so no 3€ a month to add on).

[/quote]

Does the Calls part include the international calls too? I have a sister

in Aussy and family in the U.K. and it would be a no brainer to change

if it doesn't.

[quote user="Jonzjob"][quote user="crabtree"]

where for 29.99€ you will get all the Orange Internet & Calls offer (plus calls to French mobiles from VOIP line), plus a mobile line (SIM card) with 2 hours of calls a month. The Livebox is included in this price (so no 3€ a month to add on).

[/quote]

Does the Calls part include the international calls too? I have a sister

in Aussy and family in the U.K. and it would be a no brainer to change

if it doesn't.

[/quote]

It includes all the international destinations you will get if you were on an Orange tariff.

I just had a look at the Sosh website and it seems you have to have the mobile phone as well as ADSL i.e. there is no package that excludes the mobile phone. Not much use to me as it still does not work round here. I also noticed by accident that in the small print (at the bottom of the page) whilst you can cancel at any time there is a 50 Euro fee.

[quote user="Jonzjob"][quote user="crabtree"]

[/quote]

Does the Calls part include the international calls too? I have a sister in Aussy and family in the U.K. and it would be a no brainer to change if it doesn't.
[/quote]

There is a three hour limit on calls if you read it. Not a massive problem for most I would think.

Q it seems a good deal to me. Luckily I know I can get Orange where we are because we are both with Orange in the UK and receive Orange on our mobiles.

Of the view if it is cheaper than others offering Internet and fixed line then go for it and if the mobile did not work it is still cheaper.

The Orange included international calls include Australia.

[quote user="PaulT"]Q it seems a good deal to me. Luckily I know I can get Orange where we are because we are both with Orange in the UK and receive Orange on our mobiles. Of the view if it is cheaper than others offering Internet and fixed line then go for it and if the mobile did not work it is still cheaper. The Orange included international calls include Australia.[/quote]

Yes but I want the TV as I watch French TV and with Orange I get the Top 14 rugby and that adds another 5 Euros per month. If I add the TV into the package which I can do the price will end up, after the intial period, back at where I am now minus the Livebox rental. It looks like you have to take the offer between 5/2/2015 and 1/4/205 and after 1/6/2015 it reverts to 34.99. If you could swap the mobile with the TV I would really concider changing as it would save me a fiver a month. The other issue for me is having the English technical support as my French is not good enough to talk technical with them. As you get a good Orange signal I think in your case it is a good deal.