Recovering hard disc

Before you all got macho about who knew the most about HDD's you might have read what he said. His laptop was knackered and yes he wants to wipe the drive but my guess is he wants the data off first. Personally rather than second think what he is really up to it might be better to just answer his questions.

[quote user="Kong"]That's not clear to me. WB didn't mention data recovery only wipe the disk. If you want to recover data from a physically intact disc which has has been formatted it can sometimes be done as any forensic IT guy will confirm.[/quote]Although I agree that the data can be recovered from a formatted disc it is not a cheap process. I would query if the data on WB's disc would be worth that much expenditure by a third party. I think it is only discs belonging to terrorist suspects that get that sort of treatment.

It's not cheap. If you lose vital data in a commercial situation a couple of grand is worth it as I have suffered. I agree in this situation that is unlikely.

In the OP's situation if his aged hdd is thousands of terrabytes then recovery might be worthwhile, but I doubt that too....

I was wondering if any of you have read his posts? He has not said his drive is damaged only that the laptop it was in was broken and he can't remember the operating system password. That would mean that the data is intact and it can be accessed by putting it in a USB external disk box and connecting it to his other computer. Other than taking off the data, if that is what he is trying to do, thats an assumption on my part, all he wanted to do is see if he could use the drive for whatever is in his mind to use it for. So far he has asked two questions, can he use it and how to delete some files? How we got to drilling holes in it, industrial magnets, writing zero's and the price of HDD's is quite beyond me. Five pages on two simple questions, well what can one say. Seems to me there is a pissing competition going on about "I know more about HHD's than you".

I just wonder if this is our slippery likkle banana skin winding all up to see what happens??? 'cause he ain't been contributing any more than a stir every now and agin init?

If so then own up you naughty banananana tu [:-))] After all, you have enough info now to write Windoze 11 mate!! [:D][:D]

Dear oh dear, I did not mean to cause a squabble.

All I wanted to do was recover and use the disc from the old laptop which had a broken and split case, a noisy fan, was rather old and was becoming a pain.

The disc is a 250gb one and works well.

I have been running it off an old box today which I had used for another recovered disc and have managed to get a good part of the data off it, but there is still quite a bit which is blocked, Though Quillans suggestion got rid of a good bit.

Getting rid of the data was merely a way of exploiting the disc to a maximum.

As it is a small sized disc, I thought it would serve as a useful portable one if I could get it cleaned and maybe reformatted just as a memory disc, rather like the other portables I have.

By the way, how do I reformat it and would that get rid of any remaining files?

[quote user="woolybanana"]but there is still quite a bit which is blocked[/quote]That makes no sense because in an external caddy you should be able to just drag and drop anything off it, the PW for the version of Windows which was on it is irrelevant in that case.

You shouldn't need it but you might find this useful:

[url]http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/112795-context-menu-take-ownership.html[/url]

Once installed you can right click on a file or folder and 'take ownership' of it which should allow you access.

It's not really an install it's just a slight tweak to the registry and before somebody chirps in to tell you world will end in a fiery hell if you even have the temerity to think about doing that, and I would largely agree that it's somewhere you should not be going, in this instance you have my personal assurance that it's 100% safe !

Thank you one and all, including those who sent PMs; Norman, I tried putting it where you suggested, but it was a tad tight, and Nimt, the idea of rubbing it all over with jellified disinfectant to chase out the nasty flies was a tad dangerous, don't you think?

The disc, now in its own little box, is known as J drive and sits purring away at my side and contains the back up of the back up of the back up. Cute little thing, really, looks just like my 1TB portable backup but with less capacity.

Thank you one and all.

Oh, and the old laptop went for recycling through the local HyperU whose electronics department I have cultivated a bit of late.