Internet only - is it possible?

Hi everyone, it is a long time since I was asking anything on here, but we, hubby and I, are both about to embark on PhD's and with coming to France every couple of months will need good internet access. We also have my dad, now 88, who insists on having his tablet with him whenever he visits too.

So, we're on the lookout for the cheapest internet possible. We don't need phone, as we have a french mobile which works just fine, and we don't need TV.

Does anyone have any ideas? All will be looked at seriously.

Thank you in advance,

Margaret

It very much depends where you are living. In a city you will have a fair bit of choice and competition for services. Where we live, in the middle of the country, we are restricted to a choice of a slow and inadequate service from Orange, a satellite service with restrictions on uploads and downloads, or a service via WiMax. We have this and whilst not brilliant it's adequate. It costs us 29 euros a month

If you have a reasonable mobile phone signal, why not try a "Mi-Fi" device which connects to the mobile phone network and gives you a WiFi connection. This can be used with eg a JoeMobile SIM for which the service (and the subscription) can be switched on and off as you need it..

[quote user="MLD"]Thank you Linda and Pickles. We are in the Aube, in the middle of nowhere, but we get a good mobile signal. I will google Mi-Fi and see where we go from there Many thanks.

Margaret[/quote]

does that mean that you already have a house there?

Do you have (or has there ever been) a fixed phone line?

Danny

Yes, Danny, we do own a house there. We had a phone line in when we lived there all the time, but for study reasons we came back to the UK, and then we have stayed here. We don't have a phone at present, as we use a mobile. Why? Have you got a good suggestion? I would be interested if you have another idea.

At present Pickles' idea works out for 15 euro a month for 2 GB of info. We don't pay that the months we're not there.Our mobile costs us 5 euro a month, whether we're there or not.

Thank you TinaBee, That looks good too, it now depends upon how much internet we all use in one month! At the moment it is between Joe mobile and orange domino!

In the mean time I would like to thank everyone for their help.

Margaret