What spec mobile contract do I need please ?

We were given an iPhone 5 which we really only use very occasionally as a mobile phone and even more occasionally to pick up email when travelling abroad and for google maps.

We have an Orange Open Mini package which is fine for calls but we exceeded the 50 Mo using the maps app one day. Could anyone tell me what sort of deal we need please as I really have no idea ! Thank you in advance for any advice .

You will get a few replies telling you how crap some suppliers are, how super others are and of course they will conflict with each other. The most important thing is what works where you are. We can't get Orange or Free so use SFR and we don't have a problem. They keep sending me emails about a new deal with 2Hr calls, unlimited SMS and 2gb of data (including 4G but then we are lucky if we get 3G) for just under 6 Euros, it's called 'SFR Red'.

The other issue you have which is the same for Android as well as Apple is maps are done in 'tiles' and they only use the one you are on discarding it when you get to the next one which it downloads, I went 8km only to get a bill for 9 Euros but that was a long time ago, data roaming is now turned off on my phone. You can download maps if you look in the menu but the area you can download is rather small.

So I am not going to answer your question directly but do make sure you get coverage in your area by asking locals etc what they have and don't rely on the coverage maps as they are often wrong because of local conditions.

Don't forget you need to unblock your phone if you change unless it has already been done.

If you use apps which have offline maps, (eg Sygic or Maps with me), and are prepared to restrict your use of Internet functions to places where you have a wifi connection, then all you need is a bog standard mobile phone contract eg the cheapo ones by Leclerc or those that come as an adjunct to a landline/broadband deal.

• 2 weeks later...