OK, help please, guys.

The French TV is on satellite as we can't have rateau because of the windmills, thus giving us some 12-15 TV French progs. But, it buzzes, apparently when the picture is paler or whiter. What can we do about it please?

It is still analogue, until I can find a cheap enough digital box, and we have tried 3 different TV sets thus far.

Any ideas svp gratefully received.

I would have said it was a power supply issue, the extra power needed to make the screen whiter is pushing the power supply hard but the same on 3 sets unless they are all knacked would be unusual.  Tricky to diagnose on line, maybe a new digital tv for christmas?

[quote user="woolybanana"] until I can find a cheap enough digital box[/quote]

[:-))] How cheap do you mean? A new HD Fransat or TNTSAT box will give you all the TNT channels from one of two different satellites for about 100 euros.

http://www.boulanger.com/ref/8000919 for example for 5°W sat or

http://www.boulanger.com/ref/8000779 for 19.0°E sat

You will not find anything any cheaper. Bear in mind that all the

digital SD transmissions are going to stop in April 2016 so if it is not

an HD box from this list,

http://www.fransat.fr/catalogue/12-je-m-equipe

or this list

http://www.tntsat.tv/tnt-sat-decodeur-materiel-installation/choisir-decodeur-tv-tnt-sat.htm

don't bother as it will receive nothing after this.

Your current decoder is definitely not analogue. The analogue transmissions stopped some years ago.

More info required to answer your question....

What is the make and model of the sat box?

How big is the dish?

What satellite is is pointing to?

Is it properly aligned?

If the windmills are in the way and causing the problem, maybe the dish can be realigned to another satellite. If this is the case, you will need to equip yourself with the appropiate decoder (box)

Other than that, there are too many other possibilities for your buzzing issues which will probably be related to your local cabling/dish set up.

Danny

It might be worth you enquiring of your ISP. Certainly with Orange because we don't have 4mb or faster we got a free digital satellite decoder. The only thing we paid for was a deposit on the card which was about 40 Euros and refundable on return. They used to give you 90 Euros if you had the dish installed by a supplier, don't know if they still do that. The new Orange decoder, which was delivered yesterday as part of a nation wide rollout, is vey good. It's faster than a Sky box to come on unlike the one before that seemed to take hours and the general 'Original Language' default feature really does work where as before it only worked by going to the channel and selecting it. Best bit is the warranty which is for as long as you have a contract with them because you never own your box (bit like the Livebox). Any problems (like the cat weeing on it in my case) you simply get a returns number and swap it out. It has 'on demand' like BBC IPlayer but French of course and you can rent films through it plus you can have Canal+ if you pay for it although it is free for a couple of hours each night. We are in a similar boat to you except there is a mountain in the way.

Of course if your line speed is above 4mb they will give you an ADSL version which does exactly the same thing and that's free as well.

PS. I never thought about 'wind mills' before, I take it you mean for electricity. I would have thought EDF might also help assuming peoples TV's worked before they put up their windfarm. Alternatively had you thought of a big metal angle grinder. [6]

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yes, the whole hamlet was obliged to have a dish and abandon their rateaus when the aeoliennes were installed as they destroyed reception.

The box we have is one brought privately; it won't last much longer as there will only be HD programmes on the satellite from April and some chaines have already gone.

The only way I have thus far managed to deal with the buzzing problem is to turn the volume on the televiseur down low and turn up the volume from the box. As a workaround this is OK.