Orange mobile contract

I have a cheap (14,99 euros) a month contract, Iphone 5 but, for some unknown reason anyone I send a message to with a UK phone number it won't send.

Strangely enough, when I was last in the UK the ONLY person I could phone and text was our daughter, who also has an Orange contract in France.

I thought as long as you have credit (I always do) a text message should send - I use 00 44 so presume that is right.

The only way I can contact people in the UK from France is by wifi with Facetime or Whatsapp. Some of my contacts don't have IPhones.

What am I doing wrong or is it my contract?

I know it costs extra as SMS abroad aren't included but I think it should send.

You are knocking out the 0 before the Uk mobile number aren't you

so 07xxxxxxxx becomes 0044 7xxxx

Can you call the number as opposed to texting?

Just a thought.

I use Viber for extended calls after sending a beep to alert the other person.

[quote user="NormanH"]

I know it costs extra as SMS abroad aren't included but I think it should send.

You are knocking out the 0 before the Uk mobile number aren't you

so 07xxxxxxxx becomes 0044 7xxxx

Can you call the number as opposed to texting?

Just a thought.

I use Viber for extended calls after sending a beep to alert the other person.

[/quote]

Thanks for your help and yes Norman I am leaving off the 0, and no I can't even phone these numbers. I rarely need to phone from my mobile as I have free to landline calls from the house phone. Facetime works when the other person has wifi, as does whatsapp but my OH who doesn't understand how to use the internet (yes in this day and age) I would rather just be able to send a text/sms.

It's very annoying !

Apparently Orange changed my contract, gave me more time of internet but took away my ability to send/receive texts outside of France.

So I'm waiting for the new contract to start, which is exactly the same money but I presume less internet.

I've been given a new sim card, err, now with Iphone does it let you copy your contacts to the phone itself so you can then install on the new sim card??? I have a feeling it doesn't.