What is Agate?

Recently a white triangular icon on a square red background has

appeared in the top LH corner of my screen on all pages of this forum.

When I click on it, a small window slides out with the

message “Something's gone wrong", with a green button "RELOAD"

below. I have not touched this button.

At the bottom of the window is the triangular symbol with

the word “agate”, plus a “!" button, which produces an email form to [email protected], and a gearwheel button,

giving a choice between “FAQ", which opens a new, blank, browser tab, and

"Help & Support”, which gives an email form as above.

Looking at the link “agate.one”, it is a service enabling

payment for web content.

Is this just something added to the site by Archant, or is

it a bug picked up from somewhere?

It's an Archant thing. I followed a link (I think the popup only shows more info if you enable it from a Complete France page other than the forum) and it explained that it's a tool for accessing paid content from the magazine that's not automatically available online. So, a paywall by any other name. Not sure why it needs to appear on the forum.

Apparently, Archant are constantly exploring new technology (they say, I paraphrase). Clearly not for the forum software, though,

[quote user="napoleon"]Thank you nomoss for raising that and for B's explanation. I noticed it, ignored it and wondered what it was. I suffer from "lazy old man syndrome".

Alistair[/quote]

Pas de quoi. I suffer from "nervous old man syndrome" [:D]

[quote user=" YCCMB"]For info... And, despite Archant's insistence that they're constantly improving their use of technology, I STILL can't make a link clickable... [url]https://www.completefrance.com/home/news/introducing-premium-articles-on-complete-france-1-5865360[/url][/quote]

Even if you do what I just did to your link?

Click on "Quote" to see.

Or, copy and paste the link into the reply box, highlight it, click on the link icon, and paste the link again, into the box which appears.

[quote user="nomoss"]
[quote user=" YCCMB"]For info... And, despite Archant's insistence that they're constantly improving their use of technology, I STILL can't make a link clickable... [url]https://www.completefrance.com/home/news/introducing-premium-articles-on-complete-france-1-5865360[/url][/quote]

Click on "Quote" to see.

Or, copy and paste the link into the reply box, highlight it, click on the link icon, and paste the link again, into the box which appears.

[/quote]

[quote user="nomoss"][quote user="nomoss"]

Click on "Quote" to see.

[/quote][/quote]

M'lud, I rest my case.