Changing Internet Provider

For reasons that aren't relevant, I want to change my internet/phone provider (ISP). I have three questions:

a) Is it like the UK, where you sign up with a new provider, and they do all the rest (ie cancel the previous subscription, set up the new one etc)? I recognise that at the end of the process it is likely that the previous supplier will require their modem/router back.

b) What is the rough timescale for getting the change made once you start the process?

c) Does anyone need to visit the property (house) during the whole process? (It's a holiday home, so we are not there for long periods)

Many thanks for any help anyone can give.

Nimty, does this change include your mobile phone? If so, I suggest you check within the village to see what others are using or find the best.

When I moved here my mobile would no longer work as the provider did not have masts or whatever in the area. So, I had to change to Orange which incidentally is used By the mayor and most of the folk here.

Kong wrote : From my experience:

A) Yes

b) Normally just the time to ship a box to you, all the rest is on-line.

c) No

Can only agree .. it is the law that all is fairly done by the new provider .. but it can depend who you are quitting. Some providers, especially expat ones, can be downright awkward in letting you go. But there is usually a way to make it work.

Normally, today, the transition goes like clockwork as long as you follow the prescribed procedure.

I'd agree, but the problem is the shipping and receipt of the box. Getting the timing right can be a problem.

Mine was delayed and I'd left France for a holiday. I'd arranged for the box to be delivered to a relais poste rather than to my address as I knew the delay was always a possibility and I didn't know the carrier (many do not have post box access).

I received an e-mail notification and, as I'd left an authorisation with a neighbour, they could collect it when I told them it was available. Had it been addressed to my house it is possible it would not have been delivered and would have been returned to the sender.