Barking dog what to do

My brother has a problem with the neighbours dogs.  They are tied up on a very short lead and are outside day and night, they are barking everytime they hear anyone, they have very little food or shelter and they are urinating and pooing near or on my brothers gate and the smell is appalling.  Apart from the noise the poor dog is whining.  A few times my parents have undone the leash but the poor animals seem to frightened to go and if they do manage to escape they run into my brothers house and chase the cats.

My mum told the neighbour it was terrible to see the animals like that and that she was going to tell the mairie and the woman replied the other neighbours have already complained and theres nothing the mairie can do.  This was confirmed when we visited the mairie, they told us to go to the gendarmes.

Does anyone know if there are any rules/regulations on dogs barking and if the gendarmes will actually bother to do anything, I don't hold out much hope with ours unfortunately. Or if the SPA can become involved, mind you it's probably fairly normal in france to leave the dogs tied up outside 24/7

Thanks in advance

Pippa