Batty Cat

This is a first for me: one of our cats - Tom - 2-year old Limousin moggie has suddenly taken to licking the side of the wood burner in the kitchen. It's not lit, I hasten to add !

I should also point out that (to the best of my knowlege) there's nothing spilt down the side of it.

He's an outside/inside cat, so God alone knows what he gets up to at night, plus he's never quite made the connection between eating a whole mouse, then throwing up, then feeling awful and not eating for the following 24 hours

He has access to as much water as he wants (actually, none. thanks very

much) plus kitten milk (now that's more like it!) and a variety of

biscuits and pouches, so I find it difficult to imagine he's short of

minerals.....  But he will keep going back to the fire....

Anyone else got a loopy feline doing this?

p

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]
Anyone else got a loopy feline doing this? [/quote]

Not now, but I did have one in the past and the reason she did was she was very ill, but I did not realise it at the time. She had apparently ingested some lead shavings - don't ask - and became severely anaemic and subsequently died shortly after.

This page explains a lot. I wish I had had access to the Internet when this happened to our gorgeous girl.

I hope, for the cat's sake and yours, that this is not the case. Fingers crossed.

Sue

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]He's an outside/inside cat, so God alone knows what he gets up to at night, plus he's never quite made the connection between eating a whole mouse, then throwing up, then feeling awful and not eating for the following 24 hours
Anyone else got a loopy feline doing this?

p[/quote]

Sorry that I can't help with the cooker problem (although I have seen evidence that Veal calves lick the iron bars on their cage, due to lack of minerals they receive, which may be connected to your cat's problem - ?) but one of our cats. Solomon, also does the eat half a mouse (usually the top half) throw it up & feel ill for the day, behaviour. 

It could be that your cat has got worms, due to the wildlife he is consuming, which are depriving him of all the vitimins & minerals he is receiving through his food?  

Our Tabs does the mouse trick.  I've seen her eating one, then spending the next 5 minutes heaving it up, then she rubs herself around you, looking for a sympathetic cuddle.   Yeewww.

Not had a cat with the licking problem, but our friends dog used to lick and then chew the logs in the log basket.  But then Rupes was a bit of a fruitcake at times.

I do hope that the licking problem can be sorted out by a good worming and that is nothing more serious.  Fingers crossed.