Leaving Dogs in cars in this heat

We arrived to shop at a local Lidl this past week and entered the store passing a black car parked near the entrance...nothing special about that. It was quite hot being in the early afternoon. On leaving the store, well over an hour later, we passed that same car and I noticed a large dog in the back seat leaning against the window panting heavily. Three windows of the car were all wound up except one which gave about an inch and a half of air if that...the poor dog!

Time was tight for us as we had guests arriving at two and had to barrel off so I quickly went back into the store and informed a member of staff about the dog's plight in that car which must have been stinking hot. I only hope that something was done. Why the hell do people do this ? why not leave the dog at home on hot days ??

That dog was in that car for the hour plus that we were there, god knows how long he was actually trapped there for...

Honestly some people...makes you want to wring their ruddy necks![:@]

Actually Callie in Australia we are very well educated about leaving dogs in cars in the summer heat - but some cretins still do it, even at the beaches. It is common there though for passers-by to 'smash the car window - ask questions later'. The police there are very understanding about this. I know of  cases where the car/dog owner has returned to find a very angry mob, and police, standing around their car/very distressed dog.  They get prosecuted heavily in Australia for this kind of thing.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]We left our dogs in the car with the windows up today in the sun for about 20 mins while in the supermarket.

But we have a convertible and the roof was down[:D]
[/quote]

Why not leave them at home in the house - or do they have 'canine rights'...?

Even I cannot stand being in the car when it is hot - feel sorry for your dogs - but at least I make my own choice. Leave 'em at home when it's hot. Being Australian ( or one of you ) I thought you would know better....

Sounds like 'destroyer' should be 'destroyed' - there are more than enough pesky canines in the ownership of irresponsible people than are necessary. Good luck and make sure you keep 'destroyer' to yourself and yourself only...

[quote user="Jura"]

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]We left our dogs in the car with the windows up today in the sun for about 20 mins while in the supermarket.

But we have a convertible and the roof was down[:D]

[/quote]

Why not leave them at home in the house - or do they have 'canine rights'...?

Even I cannot stand being in the car when it is hot - feel sorry for your dogs - but at least I make my own choice. Leave 'em at home when it's hot. Being Australian ( or one of you ) I thought you would know better....

[/quote]

We were on our way home from a day out together.

The temperature was about 20C, so it was not hot. The roof was down so they had air. I think you missed that point. The roof was down. We have a windstop which covers the back seats so they have shade.

Being from Australia we do know the dangers of leaving dogs in cars in hot conditions. As these were not hot conditions, there was no problem. In fact we have even shaved them for the summer so they would be more comfortable, which they are.

Edit this is wen isn't it? Ah say no more.

There is no problem and we love our dogs too much to allow harm to them.