HELP. Jack Russell needs a good home

Hi, we are desperately seeking a good home for our Jack Russel, he is 13 years old, good with other dogs!....not so good with cats or chickens. Older children not a problem but can be a bit grumpy with younger children when they pull him around. We have found that we have not got the time to give him that he deserves in his later years and with a baby on the way will have even less time. This is our last hope as if we cannot find him a good home then we will have to visit the vets, which will devestate us. If you have further enquiries please contact us.

Many thanks 

At the ripe old age of 13 years could you not see it in your heart to just bear with him. I know my  old lady at the age of 14 years was quite happy to just eat and sleep so maybe even with a new baby he should not really require too much from you. I am not judging you in any way but I know the pain we felt when we had  to have our old girl put to sleep.  I wish you luck in hopefully finding him a loving home to spend his few remaining years.

Thankyou for your replies, it really isnt an easy thing for us to persue but I know how he was when our son was born and it took him a very long time to adapt, and now is 6 years older and grumpier I know in my heart he will not cope with a baby aswell. I will try and upload a photo, and have sent an email to poorpaws. I tried a while ago to seek help with another rescue centre but they said he was too old, didnt like cats so they wouldnt take him and the SPA would prob put him down and to keep him....knowing that he has nipped our son I cannot risk it with a baby aswell - please dont think us as evil, were sad aswell

A beautiful photo and a beautiful little dog.  You can't possibly consider ending his life when he hasn't done anything.

Have you heard from Poorpaws? 

He is older now and he may not turn out to be as bad as you fear with a new child.  If you are frightened when they would be together, you could always have a muzzle like this one, so they can pant and drink, and take it off when the baby is sleeping, etc.

http://www.polytrans.fr/fiche_produit/museliere-grillagee_502776.html

There is always a way around a problem without going to extremes.   [:)]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thankyou to all those with genuine thoughts and concerns about Flash. I must admit I gave up on the forum when I recieved some very hurtful coments by email  from people who claim that they are "animal lovers" through this and another forum. - you know who you are there is no need for me to disclose names comments that include "The kindest thing to do would be to take him to the vet and I hope he looks you in the eye as the needle goes in."I was deply distressed by comments like these as genuine people would agree hence not checking in! therefore missing the very kind offer from Megan Le Fey. We have found alternative arrangements for flash and he is very happy. I feel the need to explain aswell that it wasnt that he was an inconvenience it was genuine and realistic concerns that I had with flash as I had lived through his jelousy of a baby before, and being 6 years on he is grumpier (typical old man lol) but certainly not slowing down like a lot of dogs at 13!

Once again thankyou to the genuine posters

sacha

Nasty and hurtful comments are to be regretted and I'm sure everyone is very relieved that a good home has been found for your dog. Speaking for myself only (and I hadn't read this thread until today) I was quite shocked that you were giving up a dog of this age and were (possibly) prepared to have him put down. As an owner of a bad tempered 12 year old Westie who has been with me since the age of 8 weeks - I could no more give him up than cut off my right arm. He loathes children, doesn't much like people and enjoys greeting other dogs, as long as they don't expect him to play with them. Needless to say, he loves me unreservedly and I am more or less at his beck and call. Elderly animals don't rehome well, they have such strong bonds with their families, and of course are more prone to illnesses.

Having had him with you for so many years I think many of us, whilst understanding your issues, were a little taken aback by the fate which may have befallen him. I am very pleased he has found a new home and hope that he lives long and prospers.

It has to be said once again I DIDNT WANT TO PUT HIM DOWN! but with a baby due any time and the issues we had with him when my 6yr old was born we couldnt go through it again. It was easier with my son as a baby as there wasnt a young child there to let him out of a room if he was having 'time out' I cannot and would not risk a childs life. Now I dont know if you have experience with a Jack Russell!? when they go for something you cannot stop them , he is a dominant male. Now I love him to bits and it upsets and infuriates me when people judge me. Would you rather a dog rehomed or would you rather him bite(or worse) a young baby because it cried? - and yes he wanted to get to my son every waking moment for the first 6 or so months of his life, YES we dealt with it because we love him so much but cannot go through this trauma again, and neither could he! it wouldnt be fair to him. People make out that this was an easy thing for us to do but it isnt, he has found a home locally and it will cut me up when I see him next. Now I have loved him since he was 18 months old .....in fact I am so fed up with explaining myself to people who judge others I am not even going to bother finishing this posting.

Thankyou CHRISTINE ANIMAL, WJT, RUSSETTHOUSE, MEGAN LE FEY and VAL B for your helpful and constructive postings.

Sacha

Sacha, if you are still looking at this forum I am so sorry to hear you have received nasty messages regarding trying to find a home for your dog. I find it inexplicable that some people are so blinkered that they think they know better than you about how your dog would react to the new baby. As you say you can't guarantee 24/7 that the dog wouldn't be able to get to the baby. I just wanted to let you know that some of us would also consider the safety of our children to be the absolute priority, and I'm sure you found it very difficult to say goodbye to your pet, but it's great that you have found a new home for him.