Skye - a lovely dog who needs a good home

• 2 weeks later...
This has now become very urgent for poor Skye.  Another fight this week-end, another visit to the vet and now her owner is desperate to find somewhere for Skye very quickly as her partner is going back to work and Vanessa is tiny and finds it hard to cope when the dogs have a set to.  It isn't Skye that's at fault but Vanessa really doesn't feel the Staffie will fare as well as Skye in a new home - they are her dogs and she has made the decision that Skye, who is younger, is the better bet to find new owners.  She was in tears all the time she was talking to me and is talking of taking her to the vet rather than let her go to the wrong home.  Some rather odd people have offered homes that when checked out were NOT suitable...... chains and outside kennels with other scary dogs!  She has even offered to take Skye back to the UK as she has an up to date passport if the right people wanted her there, so the poor lady can't do more and is so very gutted at the whole affair.  She is too good a dog to end up in the Spa or worse - good with all male dogs( and Vanessa's other three dogs GSH and Spaniels) and children - not tested with cats - but good in the house, car etc.  Please, if you know of anyone who might give this dog the chance of a good life - speak up now as time is running out and this poor lady is at the end of her rope as her house is full of tension, baby gates to keep the dogs apart etc.  Thank you.

As Skye is a pedigree malamute and as she has a UK passport, would it be possible to enlist the help of the UK breed association?  If Vanessa is prepared to take her to the UK that would be an additional point in Skye's favour.  The two associations which came up with a Google search are www.alaskanmalamute.org.uk and www.malamuterescue.org.uk.  The second website includes information for people who need to rehome their malamute.  Maybe Vanessa has already done all this but thought I'd post the references just in case.

Here's hoping for a good outcome for Skye,

Val

Val - I sent the Malamute rescue link an email yesterday as I think they might be the best bet for Skye, thank you.  The poor owner is so distraught at the situation and it's breaking her heart to part with Skye but having heard the whole story on the 'phone yesterday, I really feel for them as they love both the dogs very much and it's such a hard decision.  Vanessa has had some pretty tough emails telling her she should get rid of the Staffie as she is the trouble maker......... but as she says, without Skye she is lovely also, is older and gets on fine with the other three dogs - she just hates Skye - horrid decision to have to make.  She has had some very dodgy offers of homes which she went to vet and found scary conditions with some awful dogs already there........... just shows you how careful you have to be when re-homing!  Please can anyone help Skye on here??

http://ineedahome.yolasite.com/skye.php

I think you may be right, Merlin, in that the Malamute rescue people in the UK will make very sure anyone who offers a home to Skye via their organisation is doing so for the right reasons.  Let's hope they are able to help if no-one suitable comes forward through any of the appeals on this and other websites.  Please keep us posted if you have any news.

Val

I contacted someone I know in the UK who owns husky dogs for sledding.

This is his reply:

"have posted the link onto my facebook page and also my partners. Both have links to networks of sled dog folk. They will pass it on in turn to their networks.

Also contacted a couple of local groups of sled dog owners.

Keeping everything crossed".

So I'm hoping something good will come to Skye soon.

Deborah

Update on this lovely girl.  Val I contacted the Malamute rescue and they sent us back some forms to fill in and sounded very kind.  But, everything is on hold at the moment as, by chance, a new English family saw my plea for Skye and her owner Vanessa is taking her down to see them next week!  They have researched the breed and have one other male dog (retriever cross) large house and garden and so I need positive thoughts for our lovely Skye and hope like hell she's going to find her forever home at last.  I take my hat off to Vanessa who has been living guarding the dogs and making parts of her house and garden like Colditz to avoid the two dogs getting together whenever possible - desperate to find a way to find Skye the place she needs.  So let's hope next week's visit is a success for them all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just to bring this up to date.  Skye is still looking for a good home but due to a lot of time wasters and quite unpleasant people wanting Skye, her owner very correctly hung on to her despite the difficulties.  As things have now turned out Skye's owner Vanessa has now decided for family reasons to return home to the UK to be with her mother who is quite ill.  She and her partner are planning to sell up in France and are already looking for a place with more land back in Lincolnshire where she can keep Skye with ease.  Skye has always had an up to date passport so no worries there and Vanessa is hoping that things will change for the better.  However, should a really smashing home materialise in the meantime which would mean that Skye was top dog in a household and Vanessa approved the home, she would willingly let her go for the good of the dog in the long term.  So please go and look at Skye at the link at the beginning of this post if you like and understand the breed (Alaskan Malamute).  She has had a difficult summer but has been such a good dog throughout and poor Vanessa has travelled hundreds of kms visiting potential homes that turned out to be just awful.  I would love Skye to find her special home if possible but failing that, hope that Vanessa can pull off the move for the benefit of all.