Help required, Podenko rescue

Hi Everyone

Long story short, but I have promised to help out Sheelagh and Richard of Phoenix in return for some space on their website to publicise individual Carcassonne SPA dogs.

My help is in the form of driving to Barcelona to collect a couple of Podencos who are being rescued from Lanzarote. My task is to bring them over the border (quite legally, obviously) and then get them somewhere a bit closer to Sheelagh.

Can anyone help me?! It is quite a long drive from here, so maybe a co-driver, possibly one who lives on the route I am likely to take (motorway all the way), or maybe someone who can offer an overnight pit stop for me and a couple of dogs....

I was hoping to have more time to arrange things, and was hoping for more daylight hours, but Sheelagh doesn't hang around, as many of you know. Our one and only discussion on this subject was on Friday (5th Nov) and yesterday she asked me if November 16th is okay.

I refuse to be the only broken link in the chain, so I have agreed....But I need some help....

Thanks in advance for any and all offers!

Rowan

PS I am house-trained, but I can't vouch for the dogs!

I have put this on AI for you as well - but for my little Scramble, I would have loved to have done this with you!  Our little Podenca is just the sweetest little dog ever and it is a year to the day that we rescued her from Saville where she had been so brutally beaten.  There are so many ill treated ones there, it's wonderful that you are getting a couple out at least and I know that Sheelagh will find them good homes.  Wonderful breed.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, thanks to a lovely fellow Carcassonne volunteer (and after several other offers of help, thanks to all) the podencos (or Canary Island greyhounds, to be more precise) are now safe with Phoenix.

It was a bit of an epic, but no disasters per se, and it was wonderful to hand them over to Sheelagh, knowing that their lives were going to be nothing but fun from now on.

If anyone would like to offer one of them a home, please contact Sheelagh at the Phoenix Association. They are both lovely girls, the smaller one, Armida, is just 6 months old, and Roda is a year old. They have never known anything outside the refuge, so will need a bit of patience. They are both very gentle natured and will make lovely pets, for sure.

Here is a link to a photo, if someone would be kind enough to sort it out for me.

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx153/rowan1965/Podencos.jpg[/IMG]

What a beautiful pair - sad eyes as yet but they will soon glisten and sparkle when they have their own humans to care for them and love them!  Our little Podenca looked sad and worried for a long time till she finally realised she was never going to be hurt again and was safe in her very own pad.  Lovely dogs!  Well done Rowan and Janet.