SPA CARCASSONNE OPEN DAYS 11-12 December

Hi everyone

The Carcassonne SPA has its Christmas open days this weekend, Sat and Sunday 1400-1800.

I will be there on both days to help anyone if they need help wither with the language or by helping them select a dog.

Please come along and bring a dog or cat into your lives this Christmas.

Thanks

Rowan

It didn't go well at all. There was a puppy sale in town on the same weekend, which must have been deliberate (not that we don't have our own pups to home).

Still, we got 5 dogs out, which is better than nothing, and one of them had been with us since May, so it is great for him.

In genera, tho, I was very disappointed and feel a little bit down.

Thanks for asking.

I dont think it is a good time especially for English folks to commit to having dogs, as so many seem to go back to the UK for Christmas

I can understand why you feel down, but can you remind me how many dogs you have helped find a new loving home this year? Thank you from all the lovely dogs that you have found homes for this year

Just getting one out makes it a hugh success in my eyes ... although I think a new year open day would be a good Idea when people are looking forward to the summer and vowing to walk off all the excess food ...and there is no better way to get yourself up to go walking every morning than to have a pair of brown eyes willing you out of bed ...

One of the best things you can do is to keep having these Open Days. That way, people get to know the SPA does have Open Days and there are pets to be adopted.

Almost every day our rescue group has adoptions at the local PetsMart. This is in addition to having regular adoptions at the shelter. Plus, they have Special Days for adoptions-- at the store and at community events. Not every day is a pet adopted but they keep going and taking the animals to the store so people can see them. It's work, but so many do get adopted. It didn't happen at first, but over time people learned that when they go to the store, they can expect to see some sweet face that needs a home.

Even having a few pets at the vide grenier (sp?) would be good.

And you did get five adopted out. That's five that didn't have a home on Friday.

ruth

As long as they don't all come back in the New Year....... I suspect that the expression 'A dogs for Life, not just for Christmas' was born out of frustration that in a fit of largesse or sentimentality people became dog owners at Christmas time, the dog was then in a strange place over the busy and often out of routine festive period, the confused dog would then show its confusion in various ways and would end up back at the shelter......

Lets hope none of the five homed at the weekend return........bon chance

Thanks all. I like the suggestions about a New Year Open Day and taking dogs to local events...The problem is one of motivation amongst La Direction. Plus they just see liability issues, what if a dog bites someone, or escapes, etc. It is all just too much hard work for them to even consider it.

Ref the 5 who went out, I think they are all going to work as adoptions. But what I am really worried about are the puppies who were sold at the Salon de Chiots and many of whom we will definitely see after Christmas....