New Style Pet Passports

Mutts

Am I getting easily confused or not? I've just been looking through the brand new blue pet passport and wondering how long it's going to last. There are several sections to the passport:

IV. Vaccination Against Rabies - two full pages with enough space for 12 vaccination stamps. Each vaccination last two years, so that's 24 years right? (how long do pets live? - I guess it could cover a pet elephant).

V. Rabies Serological Tests - 1 stamped already, space for another if required.

VI. Tick Treatment - each page split between outgoing and incoming, 6 pages, that's 6 return trips.

VII. Echinococcus Treatment - same as VI Tick Treatment

VIII. Other Vaccinations - 6 pages, space for 3 stamps on each.

IX.  and X. Clinical Examination/Legalisation - 2 pages, each page split between outgoing and incoming. Errrr.... 2 return trips????

So two return trips over 24 years??? Can some enlighten me as to the logic of this?

IV wrong, the manufacturers say the Rabies injections say 2 years, France and UK say it needs to be renewed every year.  this means 12 years not 24.  I have had dogs lasting 15 years so I would need to renew my passport.

V if you renew your injection in time then you would not need multiple RSTs

Vi and VII Fortunately we have not had this updated yet, but 6 return trips would mean renewing wevery 2 years at £50 a time.

[quote]Am I getting easily confused or not? I've just been looking through the brand new blue pet passport and wondering how long it's going to last. There are several sections to the passport: IV. Vaccina...[/quote]

IV   12 spaces so if you stay in France valid for 12 years rabies jab every year

V1 and V11   15 spaces so 15 trips to the UK(you only get tick and worm treatment done for your pet to enter the UK not applicable if say going from France to Spain) 

V111 18 spaces for other vacinations(you may get more than one vacination done per year hence this number)

IX and X  These are only for travel outwith the EU and have nothing to do with taking pet to UK .

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/oj/dat/2003/l_312/l_31220031127en00010013.pdf

Gives an explaination

[quote]IV wrong, the manufacturers say the Rabies injections say 2 years, France and UK say it needs to be renewed every year. this means 12 years not 24. I have had dogs lasting 15 years so I would need t...[/quote]

Just wonder where you got info that rabies jab in UK is only valid for 1 year according to manufacturer it is 2 years for a dog in the UK but they recommend every year

http://uk.merial.com/pet_owners/dogs/products/rabisindogs.asp

[quote]Just wonder where you got info that rabies jab in UK is only valid for 1 year according to manufacturer it is 2 years for a dog in the UK but they recommend every year http://uk.merial.com/pet_owne...[/quote]

Actually, my "pet" vet in the UK, who is also an LVI, says the rabies jab now given in the UK is valid for THREE years (information given to me early October this year)!  Don't know if that's Merial saying that or UK govt. guidelines.

No wonder poor French vets get so confused when dealing with UK animals.  It's exactly the same vaccine given in the UK as France, both made by Merial, only one is usually given in combination with other vaccines - Leptorabisin (French vaccine) and the is given "solo" -  Rabisin (UK vaccine)!

Confusion arises because irrespective of manufacturers declarations rabies for dogs resident in france is legally only valid for a twelve month period definition of resident is here for longer than 3 months . Defra allows under the pets passports scheme rabies valid for duration according to manufacturers data sheet which can be up to three years. interesting to note  last case of rabies reported in the morbihan this year was for a french dog whose rabies expired whilst on holiday in morroco imported a dog which was then proven to be infected with rabies following loss of protection  due to expired vaccine:-(

Did you get the Pet Passport in France or the UK. In France I'm having difficulty of getting hold of one. I have to return to UK over Christmas and have one dog (French) who has passed everything but my vets cannot get the paperwork

However, the proposed passport (as agreed by the Commission of the European Communities) included:

16 entries for rabies vaccinations ( 3 on page with title then 6 and then same again)

2 serological test entries

8 tick treatment entries

8 Echinococcus treatments

8 "Other" Vaccinations

There was no separation between incoming and outgoing.

The specification (L 312 27/11/2003) does allow the size and shape of the boxes to be varied by the issuing country but makes no reference to the numbers of boxes being varied. Maybe they modified it after that specification.

I have only seen the specification document, not a real one.

Thanks for all the replies - there certainly seems to be some confusion as to how long the rabies vac lasts and I'm sure I'll have more queries to post before we take our wonderful dog to France with us next year.

Hmmm...typical isn't it, he's been sick as a dog since we got the passport. A mere £84.56 vet fee for various jabs and tabs for a stomach upset, and he's now enjoying a semi invalid diet of chicken fillet and rice!!!

To add insult to injury, after 11 years we've just cancelled his pet insurance as we thought £170 pa was a tad too far - with excess of £50 and only 75% claim after that!!!

I've emailed my vet (UK) and asked if there's anyway blank new-style passports can be obtained by post - if I get a reply I'll post again here.

Thanks again

Linda

The blank Pet Passports cannot be obtained by post. As I am getting desperate for one (for Christmas return visit to UK), I have contacted DEFRA and their reply:

"1. No vet can send you a blank copy of the passport.

2. We cannot send you a blank passport.

We are aware there are some difficulties obtaining passports in France and ask if you can delay your journey until the vet in France can issue an EU Pet Passport. If you cannot delay your journey, you should ask your vet if they are still able to issue you with an old style Pets Certificate. If so, you may wish to consider obtaining one. The documentation will be checked by carriers/ State Veterinary Service for entry as well as whether the pet is 100% compliant with the rules relating to the UK. Pet owners allowed to enter the UK with Pets certificates issued after 1 October will be advised to obtain an EU Pet Passport whilst in the UK."

For option 2 I had actually asked if they could send a blank Pet Passport directly to my French vet.

Certainly in France (according to my French vet and at my dog club) your dog needs to be vaccinated against rabies each year (irrespective of the brand of vaccine). In the 1st year (regardless or any UK rabies vaccination history) you get a Blue certificate and in subsequent years you get a Red one (so I’m told – I’m still on the Blue one) and these certificates are important.