Vaccinations ifor my dog in France

maxsan

Hi. 

I have look through some of the threads and don’t seem to be able to find the answers I am looking for, therefore, I am hoping that somebody might be able to answer a couple of questions regarding pet vaccinations here in France.   

1.  I have a small dog who had a yearly booster injection every January at the vets in the UK, which gave him protection against Canine Parva amongst other things. Does anyone know if the equivalent or similar treatment is available here in France and if so an approx cost for such treatment.    
  2. Secondly, my dog is due for his “booster” for the UK pet passport scheme in April. (He was chipped etc two years ago and I understand that if I allow it to lapse, he has to have the whole process started from scratch again)  Does anyone know if it is possible for a booster to be done here in France and also if such treatment is acceptable by the UK authorities.  As I live in France, I don’t have any immediate plans to take him back to the UK, but should an emergency arise which necessitates me taking him back with me, I need to keep his passport up to date.

I would appreciate any advice.

[quote]Hi. I have look through some of the threads and don’t seem to be able to find the answers I am looking for, therefore, I am hoping that somebody might be able to answer a couple of questions...[/quote]

Hi there.  There is a lot of stuff on the subject psoted already but here's my experience if it helps...

Yes there is a vaccine the same as the one you had in the UK to cover against, leptospirosis, parvo, distempter etc.  if you take your dogs UK record of vaccinations the vet should be able to see what vaccinations are required as they are quite often made by the same manufacuturer.  The names of the diseases are pretty much the same except distemper I think and I can't remember what it is called in French, offhand.

The rabies booster can be done in France.  The only problem you may have it that French vets only recognise the rabies vaccine as valid for 1 year not two years as it is in the UK.  If you don't want to have the problem with explaining this to a French vet and risking invalidating your passport I would suggest you have the rabies booster and a new EU pet passort issued it the UK (if you don't have one already). BUT, and THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, when you are in France make sure you have your next rabies booster 12 months later and don't wait until the end of 2 years that the UK vaccine is valid for.  The vaccine is acceopted by the UK authorities.

When you are resident here, your vet will usually administer a combi vaccine covering you for all the usual culprits (parvo, distemper, leptosirosis, etc) and rabies at the same time.  He will give you a certificate to say you are covered by a rabies jab too.  My vet re-did all the vaccines so they were all due for renewal at the same time which makes it much easier in the future re reminders etc.

My vet in France charged E32 for the "annual" booster sans rabies but only E3 more for a full combi vaccine including rabies (E35).  This is in dept 31.

As Pat said, it is best to speak to a vet but bear in mind the UK vet can only advise you from a UK perspective and the French from a French perspective and ne'er the twain shall meet!

After three months residence your animal should be classed under living abroad as far as the Uk authorities are concerned and may have needed the rabies booster done after a year, if you need to travel back with it. You really need to check up with DEFRA and your vet here.

I don't think that in certain respects there are cross purposes between the french and uk vets. It is just that the UK law concerning the transporting of animals into the UK are different depending on where the animal lives.

I realise that the jabs are only every two years in the UK. So the only advise you would need is from DEFRA, your french vet, once your animal lives in France.

The old chestnut appears again and has been discussed many times on this and other Forums.

The Rabies injection in the UK DOES NOT last two years.  The manufacturers say it does but the English Government like the French insist on it being renewed every 12 months.  Miss it by one day and you restart.  Lets stop talking about two years.  it is the Government, for better or worse, that makes the decisions not the manufacturer.

[quote]The old chestnut appears again and has been discussed many times on this and other Forums. The Rabies injection in the UK DOES NOT last two years. The manufacturers say it does but the English Gover...[/quote]

Yeah but...Ian,

Many of us have the official UK paperwork issued by UK goverment approved vets to say that the vaccine is valid under UK goverment rules for TWO years.  I know it's an old chestnut but how can you explain that fact?  Surely therefore, it's the UK government that sets the rules regarding frequency of vaccinaction for rabies, presumably in consultation with the vaccine manufacturer (or it would make no sense whatsoever)?  I know the rules do change from time to time and originally it was valid for one year only (when the PETS scheme first started , so I was told).  In fact, at my last appointment with a UK vet (an LVI at that) in October 2004, he said that the current vaccine given for rabies in the UK for the PETS type scheme is now valid under UK government rules for 3 years!

As it happens both my pooches are now French resident and have rabies vaccinations every 364 days (!!!) without fail at the same time and in the same inejction as their annual parvo/lepto/influ/distemper etc jab!  Simple eh?

Nicola

[quote]The old chestnut appears again and has been discussed many times on this and other Forums. The Rabies injection in the UK DOES NOT last two years. The manufacturers say it does but the English Gover...[/quote]

That is not true. 

The UK Government accept the vaccination every two years.  My dog  had his second booster in November and his next is not due until November 2006. 

I contacted Passports for Pets, the organisation responsible for getting the Government to agree to passports, and who are up to date with current legislation.  This is the reply from Lady Mary Fretwell.

"My understanding is that the validity of the rabies vaccine varies between  countries and is whatever the Government/Ministry of that country approves.    In France the French government insist on a yearly vaccine so if you are living in France one conforms with this.   In the US the vaccine is valid for 3 years and again if you are living in the US one conforms with this.    In the UK there are 2 approved vaccines one valid for a year and the other for two years  BOTH ARE APPROVED BY DEFRA.   By International law countries within the Pet Travel Scheme accept the vaccination regime/approval of the country from which the animal is coming.   So here in the UK we accept the US dog with the valid three year vaccine.   The French accept visiting dogs from the UK with the two year validity vaccine etc.
My dogs vaccinated by my vet in London have the 2 year vaccine and they travel to and from France with no problem."

Well said Robbie.

The bottom line remains, if you a resident in France your animals must compy with the French rules.  Every 12 months for that booster.  If you are resident and are stopped in the street and asked for your rabies certificate (which you may well be if you happen to live in an area that has had a rabies scare) and if your rabies jab was given more than 12 months ago you could end up in trouble.  Indeed you would be lucky if they accepted your UK paperwork.

To keep within the "rules" as such, it would be easier to get the first booster you need done in the UK and thereafter stick to the French every 12 months rule.  I.e. get a UK booster valid for 2 years in the UK then (less than) 12 months later when you are resident in France get another booster done so you sit wiithin the French system and get issued with the appropriate coloured rabies certificate.  If you leve it until your UK 2 year period has expired and then opt for a booster in France you may well (although not necessarily) experience difficulties getting your paperwork sorted out.

I did not with one dog and continued under the 2 year UK rule (as the vaccine was already over 12 months old when we arrived) and had one hell of a problem explaining it to my French vet.  He insisted on vaccinating both dogs again and issued one certificate (the the UK vaccine over 12 month old) confiming it was the dog's first vaccination but with the second dog was a booster (as it was under 12 months since the previous vaccination).  One has a pink cert and the other a blue cert.

I hasten to add this is my personal experience and may not be that of others.

Nicola

Thanks to everyone who replied.

As we are now residents here, I think the best course of action for me would be to have the booster for all the normal stuff  pava etc referredd to and also to commence the yearly rabies injection here. The only reason that I have considered keeping up the UK pet passport, hence the question posed, was that should we need to take our dog back with us to the UK in the future, (emergencies etc)  then I would need to keep his passport up to date.  As our dog does not travel very well, taking him back would be a last resort, and we do have friends here who are always willing to have him, I am only thinking about short notice travel back to the UK.

thanks again, I shall contact our local vet

Thanks to everyone who replied.

As we are now residents here, I think the best course of action for me would be to have the booster for all the normal stuff  pava etc referredd to and also to commence the yearly rabies injection here. The only reason that I have considered keeping up the UK pet passport, hence the question posed, was that should we need to take our dog back with us to the UK in the future, (emergencies etc)  then I would need to keep his passport up to date.  As our dog does not travel very well, taking him back would be a last resort, and we do have friends here who are always willing to have him, I am only thinking about short notice travel back to the UK.

thanks again, I shall contact our local vet

Interesting, I bow to the more experianced.

I have always been told that the injection was only valid for 12 months by my UK Vet.  The same is stated by my French Vet.  However I only ever travel to France and UK with my dog (Haven't been to the States since 1964) hence they both insist on telling me 1 year.  The old paperwork states 1 year, haven't had the need to check the new Pets Passport. 

[quote]Interesting, I bow to the more experianced. I have always been told that the injection was only valid for 12 months by my UK Vet. The same is stated by my French Vet. However I only ever travel to ...[/quote]

This is a prime example of why, answers on this site, should only be used as rough  guide and not written in stone.

If your documentation states that the injection is valid for two years. Then the injection is valid for two years. If not the reverse is true.

If, like me, you take your dogs back to the UK and get the booster shots for rabies in the UK, and your vet writes the next boosters are due in two years. So be it.

I have no trouble with my vet over here as regards the shots or paper work. Mind you. The reason could be, that with four Wolfhounds on his "books", he always seems to go on vacation after a visit from me!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote]This is a prime example of why, answers on this site, should only be used as rough guide and not written in stone. If your documentation states that the injection is valid for two years. Then the in...[/quote]

Boghound is quite right - don't take everything as gospel. 

But the fact remains if your pooches are French resident i.e. have been here more than 3 months they must follow French rules and have a booster every 12 months.  If you miss the 12 month deadline you MAY (but not necessarily) find you have difficulties. Why risk it?

My french vet refused to issue a new passport for one dog as her UK vaccine was more than 12 months old.  Fortunately I did still have valid UK paperwork to travel back to the UK with (thank God) but it expired while were were in the UK!  Now both dogs are in the French system and have current jabs and Passports and French rabies certs.

I found that it is actually much cheaper to get the boosters done in France (even though it is yearly) and I have the satisfaction/reassurance of knowing that I have the correct, easily recognisable, French paperwork (rabies certificates) to satisfy anyone who challenges me here.  

The problem in the UK seems to be that vets can make more money if vaccinations are done every twelve months.  I was shocked when I had Charley's booster done in November.  The total cost of booster plus LVI certification was £118.00!  The rabies injection was £39.16p and the remaining cost was for LVI certification.  (LVI is Local Veterinary Inspector.  A vet has to be accredited before they can issue a pet's passport.))

The Nobivac rabies vaccine is active for two years and I have insisted upon that.  DEFRA have given me differing answers about the validity and acceptability of rabies vaccinations.  I wrote to the EU who eventually confirmed that the two yearly vaccination, done in the UK, was acceptable across the EU.  Passports for Pets have also confirmed this.

Interestingly, I was reading an article about vaccination of pets and there is some evidence that annual vaccination is not necessary for most animal diseases.  I took this up with my vet, who agreed, and she stated that the formulation of booster vaccines had changed to take account of this.  I'm not sure if that really meant I could forego his yearly booster and have it done every two or three years instead.

I guess you don't live in France Robbie?

All annual jabs INCLUDING rabies (and rabies certificates) only 35 euros each!  In fact. my French vet did not charge any extra to complete the PETS paperwork either and only 22.50 euros each for the tick and tape treatment!  Guess he must have taken pity on me for having to be in his consultation room with 2 boisterous dogs for 1 hour 15 minutes!

As our friend "outcast" says I,m here in France!!!!  (Sorry outcast, couldn't resist it  )

Sadly, no.  I've just bought a holiday home in the Lot region, not far from Gourdon, and I'm hoping to have it all sorted by the beginning of April.

My health problems really preclude me from being resident in France - not the health service - and I've had wonderful, and cheap, veterinary care for my dog.

[quote]Sadly, no. I've just bought a holiday home in the Lot region, not far from Gourdon, and I'm hoping to have it all sorted by the beginning of April. My health problems really preclude me from being r...[/quote]

Well Robbie, good luck with the holiday home  French . 

And sorry to hear about your health problems - long may you stay well enough to have many happy holidays in your new home (fingers crossed)!

Nicola

[quote]I guess you don't live in France Robbie? All annual jabs INCLUDING rabies (and rabies certificates) only 35 euros each! In fact. my French vet did not charge any extra to complete the PETS paperwork...[/quote]

Good God! They charge more then that for cats here. I bet your vet waters it down. They charge €125 to put a dog down.

Quote “My french vet refused to issue a new passport for one dog as her UK vaccine was more than 12 months old. ....”

My vet took 4 hours going through and re-checking for my return to the UK this Christmas because my UK dog had some of his rabies vaccinations recorded on a UK vaccination card rather than the French format records. All the vaccinations had always been done (both UK and France) within 12 months of each other – it was the record of some of them that required all the additional checks. No problem in the end (as I knew everything was OK).

I note that the (new) European Pet Passport now has both date of vaccination and a valid to date so it will be interesting to see what if entered at the next rabies booster time.