Would like dog & cat - but not sure

Dormouse

We are moving to France soon (hurrah!) I will be on my own for quite a while as Mr D will be commuting to and from London on a weekly basis. I therefore want to have a dog (preferably barky) to keep me company. However, I've never kept one before. What are people's thoughts - we will have a large house but only a small patio area (in the middle of town) When I'm out should Dog be kept on patio area (in kennel) where he might bark and irritate all and sundry or in the house (would he poo in places? Can dogs be trained to use litter trays?)

Where would be a good place to get him? Are there Dogs Homes in France?

We also want a cat . However, we are on a fairly main road, so would an old cat who can't get around much (litter tray in cellar) be better or a young cat who can grow up being used to not going out? Or will you tell me I'm dreadful and cats should always be allowed out & I shouldn't even be thinking about getting one...?

And should the two creatures be introduced to the house together so they get used to it together and neither is top dog/cat? Or should I abandon the thought of both and just have one or t'other?

HELP!

hi, have you thought about the possibility of having a hamster

with a large squeaky wheel to run around in, this will create

some noise, much easier for you to look after, and will also

give you some company whilst other half away working.

I would suggest a small breed dog since you don't really have a garden.  You don't say how much grooming you might be willing to do, but this can come into play when choosing a breed.   Also temperament, many breeds are quite friendly and "barky," others not at all.  A little Internet searching can give you some suggestions.

Do check with your local SPA.  They could well have the perfect pup for you (and cat for that matter) and you would be doing such a good service in giving him/her a home.  However, if you plan to have a cat too, you might not want to take on an adult dog.  It has been my experience that lots of adult dogs cannot accept a cat hanging around all the time and vice versa.

If you want to get a cat and a dog, then you might want to get them both young and at the same time as they will be forced to become friends at a young age.  At least it sounds more sensible to me, but others may have a different take on this.  I have a dog, no cat (am allergic to them).

I have several friends who bought kittens and have never let them out of the house.  They are now adult cats and seem quite happy.  They get lots of exercise running all around large homes and playing with the kids.

As to leaving the dog outside on the terraced area.  You will have to play that by ear.  I would imagine you would need to walk the dog fairly often to give it the exercise it needs (and wants).  If you do leave the dog inside the house, you must take into account the potty breaks he/she will need.  Puppies need more than adults on that note.  A puppy can be fairly easily house trained - not to go inside.  Most adult dogs know better, unless you adopt one that has never lived in the house.  An important question to ask when adopting.

Good luck.  Animals can bring such joy to a person.

hi again, sorry for last post, silly mood. I think if you would like a small yappy {at other people } dog , loving to you , likes a walk, often, but not always too far, Shih tzu. never liked them before, until I met poppet, adorable. take it to doggy parlour every couple months, groom inbetween, easy going characture, but will let you know when someone is outside, cannot reach plate on your lap or obscure tv, probably like to sleep next to you on bed though, hardy but small, sure you would fall in love and dog would let you know what it wants, great company. 

Sharon ..

If a dog is exercised regularly it shouldn't poo in the house.  It really shouldn't be left alone long enough to be that desperate.  You can train a dog to poo where you want it to - I've done it (a necessity when you have small children who also play in the garden) but I wouldn't have attempted to train it to do it in a litter tray!  If its going to be left alone for long periods then I don't think its fair to leave it out on a small patio.  You can get a dog flap, incidentally. 

If you got a dog from one of the animal rescue places in the UK they would do a home check, and I doubt they would let you adopt a dog if you didn't have a decent sized garden.  A dog requires a lot of commitment in time and money to care for it properly.  Are you sure you don't just want a dog for the security aspect?  It would be cheaper and simpler to instal an alarm system!

I would agree that your home does not sound suitable for a dog.  If you have not kept a dog before, have you considered offering to look after one for a friend while they take a fortnight's holiday?  This would give you an idea of the work and time involved in looking after a dog, which is considerable, believe me.  And expensive.

Getting a dog for "security reasons" can backfire as well, as you would need to train the dog to bark at the correct moments and not at others, or risk driving yourselves and your neighbours mad with the noise.  Our two large and outwardly "fierce" dogs consider themselves off-duty the minute dusk falls and both sleep soundly through every crisis.

Chrissie (81)