any idea what breed this was

Lori

After reading the thread on the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (classified dangerous dog question), I had to look up the dog on the web to see what it looked like.  I thought maybe it was the same breed of dog I saw last time I was at the vet with our collie.  It wasn't.

I am still very curious as to what that dog was -  I couldn't find it on the web as I don't know the breed name.  I thought it was a pit bull, but when I looked those up, it didn't look like that.

It was all white, with fairly short legs and a very very strong stout body.  It looked like it weighed somewhere in the vicinity of 25 kilos - I could be wrong.  It had a somewhat elongated nose/face.  I found it quite ugly, but coming from a collie owner, that probably speaks for itself.  I love dogs, all kinds, but this one really gave me a scare.  It looked like it could eat you up.  His mouth and teeth were very large.  I was a bit nervous walking by him with my own dog.  The doctor said he was okay, and obviously he didn't attack us...

Any ideas?

Well it wasn't a Dogue Argentin, but now that I looked that breed up, I recognized a dog I had seen wandering down the road one day - looked lost, but not approachable.  It was a white Dogue Argentin.  I saw it again a few days later.  Still not sure if it has a home here in the Village.

It was a white Bull Terrier.   The photos seem to show smaller ones than the one I saw at the Vet.  This fella was a real contender.  I know I would NEVER go anywhere near his master's home.  He's probably a real baby, but I don't think most of us would ever get close enough to know.

Thanks to all.  Now I know.  Also didn't know the French had categories for dog breeds.  Read up on the website noted - very very interesting.  Might explain why, while in Carpentras one day, I saw a man walking a Rottweiller with a muzzle on him.  I thought it was cruel - or perhaps the dog is mean.  Had no idea it was regulated.