Intravenous Drontal

CeeJay

We returned from France on Monday last with our faithful 13yr old Boxer. Being a Boxer she has had more than her share of heart problems,however she has lasted for 13years.

On the Saturday before we left we visited the local vet as usual, but instead of giving her oral Drontal, which she has been given for the last 7years, she was given an intravenous injection of Drontic.

Subsequently she was very poorly on the two day trip back and we had to take her to the vets at home. It transpired she had a large heart problem and the only sensible course of action was to put her to sleep, which I consented to. That was probably the hardest decision I have ever had to take, even after 30 years as a police officer!.

My query is that I have a suspicion that the intravenous injection of Drontal, which was given at the same time as Frontline, may have hastened her demise.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

If you actually mean intravenous, then in my opinion it could cause problems but if you mean injected subcutaneously, then I would be surprised if it was the droncit that caused the problem.  My aged lab has had the droncit injected into his 'scruff' many times and he is fine.  My lurcher on the other hand screams after the vet has removed the needle but there does not appear to be any after effects for either of them.

Ceejay:  I am so sorry for your loss.  When a pet is a member of the family for 13 years, losing it is heartbreaking - even with less years ..  I had to put down a Sheltie after 11 years with us (cancer).  It was one of the hardest things I have EVER done in my life.

My collie takes Drontal orally, no problems.  I have never heard of giving it in shot form.  Is there some reason why the Vet chose the injection (I am assuming it was an injection) over the pill form?