Have I asked this before

Suninfrance

Don’t know (sorry). 

However, with dogs different vets have different preferences so I would

imagine that it is probably best to ask your vet (who may give different advice

from another vet – though they will probably both be correct).

Ian

[quote user="Suninfrance"]Got two kitties (one male, one female) coming

up to 4 months old.  Is this too young to get them

neutered/spayed?[/quote]

We have 3 cats here on the farm.  Well, 4 if you count my wife (She's the 'COOL' one).  All 4 have been spayed.

Good for you Ray!  Bonjour à la grande minette...

Jan, yes check with your vet, but 6 months seems to be a minimum age.  Also it's a good opportunity to get them tattooed while they are asleep.  I still prefer the tattoo to the microchip as it can be seen, except of course for crossing the borders.

Years ago we found a home for a white cat in a ground floor flat in Chartres.  We asked the people to be very careful at the beginning until the cat knew this was his home.  Sure enough, after a couple of days, he disappeared out of a window.  Six months later a lady who was feeding stray cats in Chartres had a white cat join the group.  One day she noticed there was a tattoo in the ear and that is how we finally found the poor thing.  If he had only had a microchip, we would probably never have got him back as he would have just been considered as another stray.  The tattoo showed up well on a white cat and it is a good idea to ask the vet to do a "grand tatouage" as cat breeders, who do not want the beauty of their cats to be spoilt, ask for the tatouage to be as discreet as possible.  Hence, many vets have got used to doing tiny little tatouages right down in the ear.  We have several which it is impossible to read, just a tiny sort of smudge.  If a cat has a chance of being retrieved when lost its better to have a big showy tatouage.

Happy New Year Jan with your little family.