Urgent - chicken help needed

Jo53

Can anyone tell me how to wring a chicken's neck? One of our girls (now 3.5 years old) has a large maggot-infested area extending from her backside up under her wings. Only discovered it today - she seemed fine before. I am feeling pretty sick just thinking about it. Have put wound disinfectant spray on, but I know that such a wound on a human would be hard to heal, and realistically the kindest thing is probably going to be to put her out of her misery. She is has already stopped moving around much.

So how do we do it? What is the kindest way to kill a chicken??

Any help really appreciated ...

Jo

Hi

From "River Cottage CookbooK:...

Hold feet in left hand, breast towards you...

Grab head with right hand, neck between your 2 middle fingers and head in the palm of your hand...

Pull head down while turning your wrist upwards, so the neck is stretched tight and the head pulled back. Always err on the side of firmness.

It's actually easier to do than describe; definitely err on the side of too strong, the worst that'll happen is you pull off the head, which'll give you the same result anyway.

There'll be some reflex flapping (varies considerably between birds), though prob not much if she's sick.

Then go have a drink.

Good luck; it's not nearly as bad as you're thinking.

(Excuse typs; French keyboard and you're obviously in a rush)

Thanks everyone for your replies. Actually she went on her own - I went out there prepared to do the deed but by then the best thing seemed to be just to leave her, because she was resting quietly. A couple of hours later that was it. Relieved I didn't have to do it, but suppose I will sooner or later as we have two others that are getting on a bit. Funny how fond you get of chickens - they have loads of character.

Jo

My aunt used to get a stick, put the chicken's neck under it, stand on each end of the stick and give a quick pull - breaking the neck quickly and cleanly. It is easier than using just your own muscle power when trying to hold the chicken as well.

When we had chickens in the uk husband once dispatched several chickens

the neck-pulling way. He did it at night so as not to upset the

chidren, and in the morning they were all running round again, full of

life! We have chickens and ducks here and kill them for meat. I won't

describe how we do it as it will have the tender hearted among you up

in arms. But you will find a discussion about it on

http://www.practicalpoultry.co.uk  in the forum.  Pat.

"On the other hand, if you  have a nice French neighbour they will probably be only too happy to oblige.  [+o(]"

And on the other hand, if you keep animals you have a (personal, IMHO) responsibility to give them a stress-free death as well as a 'happy' life.

TBH, I was &^%$&ing myself the first time I killed a chicken (let alone lambs...), barely slept the night before.

But there's something absolutely, fundamentally right and honest about killing and eating something you've reared and looked after.

(Sorry, hobbyhorse...)

• 2 weeks later...

Follow-up to the sad demise of Mrs Beady (original post of this thread). One of her ageing sisters went awol a few days ago. A really clever hen, always the leader, and in pretty fine form. Blow me if today on a search of the undergrowth (the gardner is off at the moment[Www]) in the veg patch I didn't find her lying dead on top of the place where the other one was buried. The earth was all moved about. She either died of pining or killed herself trying to dig down to the other hen. When I found the first one dead she was there by the body, the others had gone.

I feel a Walt Disney film coming on ...

PS I am not completely stupid. I realise this could look like bird flu but it definitely isn't.

PPS Juswundrin - agree with you completely.

jo