Feline Fibrosarcoma

Val_2

Thanks.He was just 10years and 2 days old and we chose him at 1 day old so it was like losing a young child as you know how intelligent and affectionate they are. To anyone out there with cats and you feel or notice a swelling on the shoulder blade area and your cat is round about the 9 year mark,get it checked out. Our boy had a lump appear which is from the site of yearly vaccinations and the cause of the problem although now,the vaccines are purer than they were which the experts think are to blame but who really knows where cancer is concerned. We had the lump removed last November and it was found to be malin (malignant) and the vet said it was a terminal thing but no hard and fast rules - six weeks,months or a couple of years but it was only to be six more months for our lad as the tumours reappeared and obviously matastesised (sp?) as his lungs took on fluid and he literally came in doors to die which took four hours from start to finish. Sorry to be graphic,but talking about it helps and may help someone else who has this sad outcome to come. I now keep an eye on his daughter who is a pure black cat (dalliance with a tabby next door) who is 9 years old to make sure anything unusual is looked at immediately.

I am so sorry to hear of your news and do know exactly how you are feeling.[:(] We have just lost our beloved dog exactly three weeks ago today to a bone tumour that we knew nothing about. It all came as a terrible shock because he was only eight and we thought healthy, he broke his leg here in France on a Sunday and experienced terrible pain. We had to put him down the next day. He was not a dog to us but a very much loved family member with a very gentle soul.[:'(]

I have never heard of Fibosarcoma, perhaps someone here will be able to share information with you. I know it doesn't help much but as someone said to me, just remember the fact that you gave him a good life.

Thank you, Val, for the warnings about this awful cancer.  We had heard about this occuring, due to the annual rabies vaccines & even though our vet tried to reassure us, it will always be a concern. 

I'm so sorry about your cat.  It sounds like he had a very, very happy & loving home with you & will be very sadly missed.  My heart goes out to you. 

Take care.

I had a look about it Val after your first post, as there are so many different sorts of tumours and if it is caused by the vaccinations it seemed to say that it is not the coryza/typhus, but the Leucose and Rabies as there is a product in them (can't remember the name of it now).  It also seemd to say that it is not really sure that this is the cause and that the vaccines are better now.  Dogs seem to get it in the mouth or jaw and they are not vaccinated there are they.

We once had a dog with a tumour in the jaw, had it operated on, but it grew straight back.  A lovely faithful old German Shepherd female we rescued had one on her chest, which was removed, then soon came back.  I don't know if they were fibrosarcomes.  A Red Setter we had rehomed came back to us last November as his master went into a home and the dog had a swollen leg, it was an osteosarcome.  We only had him back for a few months.  We have lost other dogs and cats with tumours too.

That's the very sad side of it all, but it does help to talk about it.  Bon courage Val.

It is the downside to having pets - they don't, in the general scheme of things, live very long. And we've lost our share of loved cats and dogs. The only thing any of us can really take comfort in is we give them the best lives and love that we could. Sorry to hear about your Siamese, Val. Open a bottle of something nice and celebrate his life - and his part in your life. We've done that for a couple of our cats when they've been killed on the road in England and it feels like a good thing to do.

Val, Maggie had canine fibrosarcoma in 2005.  I had felt "something" that was not quite right for several months, and my vet kept telling me she didn't feel anything (usually she was a great vet and also was a personal friend).  By the time she felt what I was talking about, Maggie needed a major surgery. 

The first surgery got the mass, but fibrosarcoma puts out invisible tumor "fingers" and within six months it was back. We took her to a very high-end clinic (one of the good things about living in a major urban area at the time!) They removed several ribs and part of her diaphragm, put in a mesh to protect her abdominal cavity and then we just crossed our fingers. It is apparently one of the most invasive, difficult surgeries that they do.

Since then, we watch her like a hawk, although at this point, I doubt I would put her through more sugery, given her age and what she has already been through.  One vet here (I no longer use him) told me that no one in France would have done surgery like that.  I don't know that I agree, as I think the veterinary school in Toulouse might attempt it.

I feel very lucky that we had the outcome that we did, and it probably explains why we go out of our way to spoil Maggie rotten.  I feel that I want whatever time we have left with her to be as special as possible.

BTW, this surgery almost caused a rupture with my inlaws!  When they heard how much we went into debt to pay for it, they were horrified.  However, we really felt that we didn't have any choice, after all, she is our baby!

PG