Nice-to-Calais - where to get dog tick/tapeworm treatment

Rob MPM

Hi fellow francophile pet-owners - a logistics question as much as anything.

We're driving down to Nice from Calais with our dog for a couple of weeks' holiday in September, and have planned in a nice leisurely drive down with two overnight stopovers (in Troyes and Lyon areas as being roughly evenly spaced).

However, on the way back to Calais at the end of the holiday, we have to get the dog treated for ticks/tapeworm "not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before it is checked in with an approved transport company for its journey into the UK" (Defra).

In practical terms this means one of two options (I think - but welcome any further ideas):

1. Get her treated in Nice, drive back with one stopover only -- advantage: we know Nice, and know where the vets are; disadvantage: bit of a rush to get back

2. Set off from Nice, drive for 4-ish hours, stay the night, get her treated somewhere (Lyon area?), drive for 4-ish hours, stay the night, drive to Calais -- advantage: a nice leisurely journey back whilst fitting in the Defra 24-48 hour window; disadvantage: wouldn't know where to start finding a vet...

So, my question is:- has anyone done anything similar, and have any real-life advice to offer? Is there an option 3 that we haven't thought of?

Many thanks in advance

Rob

-------------

[email protected]

Hi,

We drove from Charente to Calais with our dog and decided to only do a one night stop over on the way. He was treated the morning we left at our local vet. This was mainly because we thought it would be less stressful and easier than waiting until we were in / near Calais. (There is enough to think about without the thought of finding a vet etc.)

There is some info on vets in Calais here http://www.day-tripper.net/infopetsabroad.html#Anchor-Useful-23240

but you'd be under the Defra 24hours.

Otherwise you could look at http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi and see if you can find a vet on the way up and book an appointment.

Can't think of an option 3.................!

Louise

Having rung one vet just south of Calais to make an appointment for this treatment for a friend's dog, they said just to turn up on the afternoon the day before the (evening) crossing as they had 'open surgery' in the afternoons, appointments only in the morning.  You may be able to find one with a similar arrangement if that is more convenient than a fixed appointment for you.

Don't know about your route but I have a vet here (30 mins North of Le Mans) who has the open surgery arrangement. Very sympathetic and has treated my friends' dogs in the same way on a couple of occasions.  A pretty stress-free experience I would have said.   Good 4/5 hour drive from the tunnel but may not be on your way.  Perhaps try the on-line yellow pages for a vet somewhere near where you propose to stop.  Must be somebody on this forum who has a vet he/she trusts on your route. 

Is the rule the same as for cats?  ie. between 24 and 48 hours before checking in?

We live at the A5/A26 junction (troyes).  Our local vet in Brienne has been great with our cat.  I would be able to tell you local telephone numbers for vets in troyes as well.  But you may need to go to one further south.  Also, for cats the tick treatment is frontline which was cheaper to buy in the UK and take to the vet.  He just jots down the correct numbers from the box etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, it is the same for cats and apparently that 'window' of time is very strictly adhered to.

If you want a nice place to stay, with vet, near to Calais, I can thoroughly recommend my vet at St-Valery-sur-Somme. They're open Mon-Fri 5-7pm, Sat and hols 2-4pm. No appiontment needed, just turn up.

They are just round the corner from two good hotels (the Guillaume de Normandie and the Picardia) and opposite a smashing restaurant (the Colonne de Bronze). Googling the names should bring you to their websites.

St Val is just over an hour from the Tunnel and has lots to recommend it, not least that it's set on the World Heritage Site Baie de Somme.

• 2 weeks later...