Taking Pet To France

verviale

I  Just thought I would let everyone know how taking my cat to France for 10 weeks worked out. I had great reservations as I do not like to think of any animal enduring a journey, but the alternative is I give my house up in France because the thought of putting her in a cattery in the U.K. for 10 weeks is just not on the cards.So I got all the injections done and in January got issued with the pet passport cost £189.00. I then booked Eurotunnel £49.00 each way for the car and us, £30.00 for Lily.I purchased a large cage and put her basket and dirt tray, dried food and water inside it.I also bought a collar and lead, incase I needed to get her out of the cage at Eurotunnel.Well we arrived at Folkstone and they did not even check her passport.We went onto the shuttle and I was able to get her out make a fuss of her and reasure her that we were with her.I would have hated to leave her in a ferry hold.We did an early crossing, with the thought that night time would be better for her.Our car has air con and as it was so hot as we drove south, I was glad of it, she was fine and we took a break every  two and half hours.It took eight hours to reach our house and I kept her in for five days.After that she ventured out and gradually got used to all the new smells and made the old pig house her hiding hole.She settled so well and the catfood in France is just the same as the U.K., she likes Sheba which is ready available and although I took her science plan it is also easy to find inFrance.She was brilliant and loved her new surroundings, I must admit not many cars pass through our commune so she was very safe.Well after a week she felt brave enough to jump from my bedroom window, I was horrified, anyway the result was she started limping, so I took her to the vet which is about 20mins accross the hills, well he was wonderful, he said she had split one of her pads he gave her an injection and some cream, he also mentioned what a wellbehaved cat well ofcourse I said ce,s Anglais.The vet Laughed and I told him I would be back for her injection anf flea treatment before our return to the U>K. He was so lovely and really did put my mind at rest, I must say I queued behind a cow and the young farmer shook hands with everyone and when the cow relieved himself , he told us he was nervous, it was like something out of James Herriot, but it is a very country vets.Well Lily is a wonderful hunter and brought in various voles, a lizard, abrown snake which I snatched from her double quick, but it was not a dangerous one.She ate hundreds of crickets which I understand are full of protein, so I did not worry too much.Anyway the day before we came home I took her back to the vets he treated her with frontline fleat treatment, you can take your own as long as its frontline and he gave her the relevant injection, just makesure you get thepassport signed in the three places, which is flea and tick tratment injection for worms and examination of wellbeing and make sure they stamp it and put the time of day.We got her examined at 10am and travelled the next day reaching the tunnel at 8pm.You must then follow the Paw Sign which directs you to a building on the right before check in. You must take your pet to have its microchip scanned and passport checked and that you are crossing between 24 and 48 hours of the treatment. They then give you the all clear to check in automatically through the check in.Well after all the worry it was so worth it she returned home as though she had never been away and I will not hesitate to take her next year.I must say she is a young healthy cat and I do not know whether I would put an older pet through it, but for us it worked out, the vet in France was brilliant, Chateauneuf La foret in Haute Vienne if anyone is interested.I hope I have been of help to anyone in a dilema, I would have love to have read this tale last year when making the decision ,I spent many a sleepless night worrying about her after all they are so faithful and do not look for a lot in return.

Hi Verviale,

I am happy that it all went so well for you.  How long did the actual channel crossing take?  We have two very large dogs and litter trays are not really an option so we would like to know which is the fastest trip.  Whilst we have no immediate intention of returning to UK,  we keep them all passported etc. ready in case we ever just have  [:(]to return.  We have not been in UK in the last approx. 30 years so it is almost as we have never been there at all.

PS Have you noticed that you have lost all your posts,  I have lost all mine as well.

The great thing about the tunnel is having your pet with you in the car,it also gives them a chance to be fed and watered.I found the people who checked her passport and scanned her microchip really lovely,they kept calling her Tiger, it has been reported that they are difficult but I did not find that at all.I would of hated to have left her on the car deck on a ferry, it must be frightening as the motors of the ship are so loud.

[quote user="verviale"].I would of hated to have left her on the car deck on a ferry, it must be frightening as the motors of the ship are so loud.[/quote]

I know what you mean.  We flew from South Africa on the same flight as our dog, about 14 hours flight.  At every stop and takeoff I was terrified in sympathy with him, it must have been so traumatic for him.