Flies on Dog

tired

Hopefully someone can help me with this problem. I have a German Shepherd that lives outside permanantly and has done since he was a puppy. In England this was not a problem, but here it is, as flies are constantly settling on him, especially his ears, and they seem to be attacking them. His ear tips are constantly scabby and or bleeding, and I really do not know what to do. I spray them every day with antiseptic, which in the beginning worked his ears would clear and the flies kept away, but now it is almost as if they are immune to it. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Emma - I'm glad you posted this as we have lived in Provence for 5 years now.  We have a collie who is 4 years old.  Just yesterday I saw many flies hovering on or around him.  I have NEVER seen this before.  I thought it was very odd.  We have had a good bit of rain round here (more than normal) and I figure that is part of the problem.  However, I hope someone else will come along and give us an answer.

My dog, so far, has not appeared to have wounds or bites from the flies, but I am keeping a close eye on him.  Could the antiseptic be attracting the flies??  Have you asked your Vet if they have something you can use?

Our collie wears a Scalibor flea/mosquito collar, but the flies don't seem to be affected by that.

Hopefully someone will give us an answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Emma,

weird or what?  We are in the Morbihan and have EXACTLY the same problem with our live outside in a kennel rescure dog!  She has had flies round her ears nibbling at them and my husband has put horse fly repellent on them that seems to work quite well.  They are a bit bald on the tips, but not sore now.

She is an old dog, and we have been living here nearly five years and it has never happened before, and has not happened to the others.  No idea why.  It didn't happen in the summer, but just in the last month or two.  She does not seem too bothered.

Could it be to do with global warming? 

Try the horse fly repellent as it is meant for animals.  You can get all sorts.

Fil

Try a mix of citronella oil and lavender oil in a spray bottle (the gardening type, small hand held ones) in water.  Usually about 25 drops of each - sometimes I add other oils such as tea tree (but only about 5 drops in this mixture as you can't use it too strong on dogs).  Or put this blend into aqueous cream or aloe vera gel and smear it on.  I'm a trained aromatherapist for animals and these oils are ones we use a lot.  I have specific recipes for insect repellants as well as things like mites or bites if you want them?

Ewa

Devon & 27

Ewa, Thank you for your advice I will try this on his ears and hopefully it will make a difference. You would think with the colder weather coming in, the flies would be going, but they are still around just as much.... any other recipes would be gratefully recieved..... I don't suppose you have any ideas of a blend to keep them out of the house as well do you [:@] ?? !!!!!

Thank  you again