Labrador reaction to jabs at vets?

Eskenazi

I wonder if anyone might have any experience of their dogs having adverse reactions to the anti-tick etc treatments which dogs are forced to have in order to travel between UK and France? I'm asking because our 2 year old Labrador is constantly sick  - she has been in at our vets (UK) for four three-night stays in order to try & find out what's wrong, but no diagnosis was possible - they went through everything including food allergy / blockage / swallowed something etc etc. She has now done the round trip to our house in France 15 times - often twice in a month, and of course each time she has to have the jab & gel!

It's hard to say if she's worse after coming back from France,  but this might be the case. I just wondered if anyone else had any knowledge of this?

We haven't taken our dog back to the UK for four years now but the last time we went we asked the vet about non-injection treatment and he administered a rub-on treatment (like frontline) instead. I recommend you do this and avoid what sounds like overdosing on treatments.

I have no experience of this myself but a friend of mine who is a regular competitor in Dog Obedience classes tells me that the "overdosing" of worm and tick treatment has been a great concern for some time amongst international competitors who see this as potentially dangerous.  Perhaps this is why.  Let's face it, with the number of trips you do, your dog is having well over the manufacturers' own recommended doses.  It  may be that however this is adminstered the problem will re-occur.  It may be kinder in the long run to consider kennelling for shorter visits.

[quote user="Eskenazi"]I wonder if anyone might have any experience of their dogs having adverse reactions to the anti-tick etc treatments which dogs are forced to have in order to travel between UK and France? I'm asking because our 2 year old Labrador is constantly sick  - she has been in at our vets (UK) for four three-night stays in order to try & find out what's wrong, but no diagnosis was possible - they went through everything including food allergy / blockage / swallowed something etc etc. She has now done the round trip to our house in France 15 times - often twice in a month, and of course each time she has to have the jab & gel!

It's hard to say if she's worse after coming back from France,  but this might be the case. I just wondered if anyone else had any knowledge of this?
[/quote]

I too would think this is overdosing your dog. Having treatment often on a twice monthly basis I would imagine could be dangerous to your dog. My UK Vet has given me Advantix for my dog in the past of which I apply about once a month in the warmer months for ticks while in France but no more. However, he gave me the wrong dosage and I unknowingly overdosed my dog. He had a serious reaction of sickness and shaking. I do know that there have been very serious reactions and even death in some cases of overdose.

I am sure this is not the case with your dog but something to consider in the future. I do hope she is better soon.  Please let us know.