Meeting the Marie?

I am sorry for the trivial post. I have heard and read that it may be appropriate to introduce yourself and present a small gift to the local Marie once you purchase your house in France. We did introduce ourselves on the day we took possession. We will be returning soon and had planned on giving a bottle of Brandy. However, our Marie is a lovely (youngish) lady and felt that this may not be suitable. Any suggestions or advise would be most appreciated.

We were recently faced with the same question because we had been told (but were not sure) that the local Maire was a lady. In addition, I have for some time held a doubt that all Frenchmen like Scotch! So we opted for a small painted plate (Worcester but with a French scene painted by a French artist)! We also thought that the gift should be something that the Maire might regard as personal (for their own home) or something that might remain in the Mairie (in our case as a wall decoration). Hope this helps but would be interested to hear what you decide.
Kenny

>I am sorry for the trivial
>post. I have heard and
>read that it may be
>appropriate to introduce yourself and
>present a small gift to
>the local Marie once you
>purchase your house in France.
>We did introduce ourselves on
>the day we took possession.
>We will be returning soon
>and had planned on giving
>a bottle of Brandy. However,
>our Marie is a lovely
>(youngish) lady and felt that
>this may not be suitable.
>Any suggestions or advise would
>be most appreciated.

It would certainly be a good idea to make contact with your Maire as a matter of courtesy but gifts are not necessary and can be construed as some kind of bribe, especially at this stage in your relationship, and especially if you are planning to submit a planning application!

Maires are just ordinary folk who aren't paid much and so often have seperate jobs from their official ones. I would say from my own experience that an invite for an aperatif would be much more apppropriate, and natural. Then once you are more well aquainted there is no problem. Then over a period of time,if your Maire then becomes a good friend, as ours has, to give the odd pot of home made jam or such like.

best of luck,

Paul

Do not give gifts to your maire. Instead invite him/her round to your house for an appero instead. He/she is a government official and gifts can be misconstrued. Take it from someone who practically lives in the mairie that this is not the done thing.

We met our mairie's secretary during the first week of owning our property.She was very pleased to have a chat with us as we were the first English family in the village. Last summer we took several photos of the village fete which we made into a collage and framed it as a gift for them. It hangs on the wall in the office. We haven't need permission for any buliding works etc yet although we might be soon, to renovate the second house on our property.

I think the mairie is the building and the maire the person. We visited our maire and he was very friendly and casually dressed (it was very hot last summer). He seemed slightly surprised to see us. We've since been told he's the local vet. I suspect he might speak some English but didn't mention it! It never occurred to to us to take a gift, certainly wouldn't do it to a council official in the UK.

• 1 month later...
"I think the mairie is the building and the maire the person."

Absolutely - there seems to be a lot of confusion about that on this forum! And none of them are the Marie, either...

"We visited our maire and he was very friendly and casually dressed (it was very hot last summer). He seemed slightly surprised to see us. We've since been told he's the local vet. I suspect he might speak some English but didn't mention it! It never occurred to to us to take a gift, certainly wouldn't do it to a council official in the UK."

I think you are completely correct - is this business of bunging the maire an English rural myth?