Border collie with a ruptured disc.

JayJay

This is on behalf of Pip, as she has no internet for the time being.

Has anyone had any experience of dealing with a large dog that has a ruptured disc. Angus is only 5 1/2 & is on anti-inflams & painkillers, but is having real difficulty getting around. He's a big dog to carry in & out. Any helpful hints or tips please?

Thanks

Oh Jayjay, that sounds terrible, poor Pip and Angus! [:(] It sounds much more serious than say hip dysplasia, of which my large dog had. I am sorry I can't help but hopefully someone will post with information. I know that if a person has a ruptured disc it would involve surgery.

Thanks WJT, Boris our dog had a similar thing, but being a shih-tzu, it was easier to cope with, but he's never been the same unfortunately. Angus' problem may have been nudged on by a torn ligament in his leg, which at present he's dragging. [:(] Hopefully, there might be someone who's poor large pooch has suffered the same or similar & has some advice.  

Poor thing.  Try putting a large towel under his belly and using it as a large sling to help him along - easier than trying to carry him around when injured.  I used to have to deal with a pointer with a very bad leg problem, who had to come in and out of the house via an outside staircase.  This proved to be a very comfy way for both dog and handler, to help him get about. Make sure that the towel is spread across the whole of his belly to support the spine.

[quote user="JayJay"]

This is on behalf of Pip, as she has no internet for the time being.

Has anyone had any experience of dealing with a large dog that has a ruptured disc. Angus is only 5 1/2 & is on anti-inflams & painkillers, but is having real difficulty getting around. He's a big dog to carry in & out. Any helpful hints or tips please?

Thanks

[/quote]

Ouch!  I feel greatly for him.

I had a disc rupture 5 years ago, the most incredibly painful thing you can imagine.  Emergency surgery needed to clear the debris from the spinal column (damage already done though).  Has he had a scan to identify that the spinal cord isn't damaged? Is there any sign that he has loss of sensation/paralysis below where the affected disc is?  I would think that if the disc has actually ruptured then surgery would be needed.

I hope everything goes well for them.

Thankyou Cooperlola & Suze.

The towel idea is being used as he can't really walk, his size & steps don't really help. [:(]

I know how you & Angus feel Suze, I've been through the same kind of thing & 3 ops did sod all!

The option of an op is there, the thing is there are no guarantees. He's been well checked out & its his back end, he is dragging a leg when he does get up, but that's really difficult & not really happening. He's in a sad way & as we all know with our pets, things like this are difficult to handle & it's really hard to make decisions.

Just a little update on Angus. He is making very slow progress & seems to be getting a little feeling & movement in his leg, which is great! He still can't get around, but the vet is quite happy with how things are, it is going to be a long old job though.

BTW, Pip is hoping to get back online this week. [:D] 

Happy to hear poor Angus is doing better but sounds like he is still in a lot of pain. [:(] Is there not anything the vet can do in the way of some sort of surgery, like what would be done in the same situation with a person? It just sounds terrible and not likely to correct itself on its own, but having said that I really no very little about this condition particularly with dogs. Just hope he is out of pain soon.

Thanks WJT. I'm not sure if they're just trying to hold off on doing an op, a case of waiting to see how he gets on. I suppose in light of something positive happening with his leg, it's no bad thing. An op is pretty major & may not work.