Travel to France with dog

gc17

Hi.

Can anyone who has travelled to France on holiday with a dog let me know the procedure on arriving in Calais using Eurotunnel, do we have to check in anywhere to be checked etc.  

My reason for asking is that we have hopefully arranged everything for re-entry into the UK, microchip, rabies jab, satifactory blood test and have been issued with a pet passport. We are also complying with the 6 month wait.  We know that Hamish will have to be treated in France, between 24 and 48 before we arrive back in the UK. We thought everything was fine but my UK vet is now saying that we have to arrange a final appointment with him for worming and flea treatment.  I am really unsure as to whether or not this is required.  We have regularly wormed him and he does not have fleas?? 

I have contacted DEFRA who have said that as long as we have the pet passport in order etc he will be fine to return home, but they did not know if there were any requirements for the dog as he arrived in Calais.

I'm sorry if this sounds a little longwinded but we want to make sure everything is ok for our trip but are now confused with our UK vet saying that an appointment is necessary with him before we leave for our hols.

If anyone has any experience of taking a dog to and from France on holiday I would appreciate any first hand comments on the procedure.

Many thanks

gc

[quote user="gc17"]

We know that Hamish will have to be treated in France, between 24 and 48 before we arrive back in the UK. We thought everything was fine but my UK vet is now saying that we have to arrange a final appointment with him for worming and flea treatment.  I am really unsure as to whether or not this is required.  We have regularly wormed him and he does not have fleas?? 

[/quote]

The reason for the treament 24 hours prior to coming home is to have flea/worm treaments. Its not an extra trip.

look at this   http://www.dogsaway.co.uk/index.htm

As Pads says, you have to get the flee and tick treatment done 24 hours before travelling, but the other thing to note is that it MUST be done no more than 48 hours before too, so you have a window of just one day.  The trick is to find a vet' in the right place so you get the timing right.  If you're staying in the Pas de Calais it's not a problem, but if you're making a long trip, you need to find a vet' in the right location to fit in with your travel plans.  If your crossing is delayed and you miss the window, it can mean waiting another day, and getting it done again, before you can come home.  Pads's link is a good one - they are very helpful.

[quote user="gc17"]

Hi.

Can anyone who has travelled to France on holiday with a dog let me know the procedure on arriving in Calais using Eurotunnel, do we have to check in anywhere to be checked etc.  

No, you drive off the train and go on your way, we have probably done this 12+ times by now.

My reason for asking is that we have hopefully arranged everything for re-entry into the UK, microchip, rabies jab, satifactory blood test and have been issued with a pet passport. We are also complying with the 6 month wait.  We know that Hamish will have to be treated in France, between 24 and 48 before we arrive back in the UK. We thought everything was fine but my UK vet is now saying that we have to arrange a final appointment with him for worming and flea treatment.  I am really unsure as to whether or not this is required.  We have regularly wormed him and he does not have fleas?? 

Seems to me you have everything sorted out for re-entry in the UK and have been issued the pets passport, are aware of the 6 month wait and know that you must have Hamish treated for ticks and worms 48 hours before leaving France, you can't re-enter the UK in the first 24 hours after treatment but MUST re-enter in the following 24 hours.  If you have your own Frontline and Drontal Plus (wormers) you can take these to the French vet treating Hamish, this does mean that charges will be lower.  Ensure that the vet enters all the data correctly ie: check each part of the passport is entered with the correct date and time of treatment and each section is stamped and signed by the vet.  You do not have to go to your vet for any treatment before leaving the UK.

I have contacted DEFRA who have said that as long as we have the pet passport in order etc he will be fine to return home, but they did not know if there were any requirements for the dog as he arrived in Calais.

There is no requirement on arrival at Calais, it is possible that you could be stopped and have the passport looked at but this has NEVER happened in the 5 years we've been doing this and if it does happen to you it won't be a problem because you have everything in order.  Just so you know the only regulation for entering France with your dog is that he must have had his rabies vaccination at LEAST 21 days before arrival in France and you must be in possesion of a passport for him.

I'm sorry if this sounds a little longwinded but we want to make sure everything is ok for our trip but are now confused with our UK vet saying that an appointment is necessary with him before we leave for our hols.

What I would suggest is that you locate the vet you are going to use before you go, you can go to www.pagesjaunes.fr and find a local vet to where you will be.  If you are going to a heavily tick infested area (there seem to be a lot around at the moment with all the damp warm weather there has been) then make sure you Frontline Hamish before you leave the UK.  It is recommended that for tick treatment Frontline is used every 4 weeks, so what I do is work back from the date the dogs will HAVE to be treated by the French vet and Frontline them 4 weeks before that date just to avoid over dosing.  You can now buy Frontline Spot On on-line as it is no longer a prescription drug in the UK, likewise you can buy Drontal Plus, do a google search or www.vet-medic.co.uk is a good company and very quick in delivering orders.  Make sure you order the right size Frontline Spot On for the weight of your dog. 

If anyone has any experience of taking a dog to and from France on holiday I would appreciate any first hand comments on the procedure.

Many thanks

gc

[/quote]

GC, hope the above is helpful.

Nettie

You've got everything in order and your planning is correct.

The simple answer to your question about your own vet is NO you do not need to see

him before your leave. My dogs travel around 4-5 times per year and our vet tried this with us many moons ago, 

we no longer use him!

Jon

Hi

Thanks so much for all your helpful replies.  I feel as though we we really start to look forward to our first holiday in France with our little friend as I think everything is in order. Also I may be looking around for another vet!!

Regards

Gail

• 3 weeks later...

Hello :)

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but it is related. Are the requirements above the same for a cat? I leave on Saturday and are just checking everything is in order. Boyd has a pet passport, rabies jab was done in April and he is not re-entering the UK. We are going across on the train. Are there any other requirements apart from rabies jab and passport for entry into France?

I'm getting nervous about it and just wanted to check again.

Cheers,

Matt

Yes everything is Ok and it is the same for a cat.

Even though he is never coming back to the UK, I do hope you had the blood test done.  Fate has a nasty habit of making "never" a shorter period of time than you thought - personal experience