Unwell dog - does this ring any bells with you?....

chocccie

My usually very active X terrier dog has been very quiet today - I put it down to the extreme heat we've had here today.  Then I realise it was more than that.  She was walking very, very slowly and seemed to have sore feet.

She's clearly distressed, grumbling and growling, but not overly so.

She was sitting outside with us under the table while we ate, and we noticed she had tremors.

She's alert and wants titbits from the table.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?  I don't want to be an idiot and run to the vet over nothing, but ....

Choccie, I certainly don't want to cause any alarm but I would get your dog to the vet as soon as possible. Having had a dog that contracted piroplasmosis (tick disease), it does sound like some of  the symptoms. They can become very lethargic and unwell, unfortunately it can become quite serious very quickly after the symptoms appear. The good news is if it is caught early it is easily cured but if not it can be fatal.

It is very common in France so I wouldn't hesitate taking your dog in for a very simple test. If it turns out not to be the case all the better. Please do let us know how she gets on.

I Googled using dog walking slowly tremors and (amongst other hits) came up with...

Heat Exhaustion

Exercising your dog on very

hot or humid days could cause heat exhaustion. Dogs cool themselves by

panting. If panting does not reduce the body temperature the dog will

develop heatstroke.

Heatstroke occurs when a dog

is subjected to prolonged exposure to high temperature or humidity to a

point where the animal is unable to maintain normal body temperature.

Heatstroke can be fatal if not treated immediately.

Early signs of heat

exhaustion include rapid breathing, heavy panting, and salivation. Other

signs are fatigue, muscle tremors, and staggered walking.
As heatstroke

progresses the dog may also exhibit vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, or

collapse.

Treating An

Over-Heated Dog

• Carry the dog to a cool, shady

place.

• Apply water to the head, neck, and

chest and fan the dog vigorously using cardboard or a blanket to speed

evaporation. The evaporation process cools the blood. Do not apply ice as

this constricts blood flow
    and does not effectively lower the animal’s

core temperature.

• Give some cool water - but

restrict the amount. The dog may vomit the water if consumed too

quickly. Alternatively, let the dog lick ice cubes or even ice cream.

• Take the dog to a

veterinarian immediately for further treatment.

The boldfacing is mine.

While I'd be the first to say "diagnosis by Google is not ideal", you did mention he's usually active + the excessive heat so possibly it is heatstroke.

thanks for the replies folks.

Actually, ten minutes after my first post I was on the phone to the vet (who of course was away at an emergency, so I had to wait biting my nails).  Although her symptoms didn't match snake bite or tick problesm, I loves her, so I had to call the vet!

She has a high temperature of 39.6 (how high is this?).  The vet moved her back legs about and said they were very stiff.  He is actually quite baffled as to what's wrong with her.  We've to call him tomorrow and let him know how she is.  She's had an injection for the pain and another for the temperature.

One thing I forgot to mention is that her poo is very black.  I told him she catches a lot of mice though.

She's seeming much brighter now and will be sleeping on our bed tonight for the first time ever as a special treat,..... I mean, so that I can keep an eye on her!

I'll let you know how she gets on.

(She's my first dog.... I'm smitten!)

Choccie, you did absolutely the right thing.  After all, we as owners know our dogs the best.  I am a long term dog owner and if I am even moderately worried about my dogs I get them to the vet.  Especially in a foreign country where many of us are not familiar with the variety of ailments our dogs can become prone to, I don't take any chances.  Yes, I will end up with a consultation fee if it turns out to be nothing to worry about, but better that than leave symptoms until they are more serious and consequently more difficult to treat.  I hope your dog is feeling much better today.

She's so much better today!

She was sick twice in the night (our fault for letting her eat too much .... she's got her appetitie back after the magic injections).... she's also had diaoreha which was greenish, so I'll tell the vet that.

But she's a lot better.... much happier in herself and more mobility.  not 100%. but not far off  [:)]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Could any of the mice she eats been poisoned ?

Glad to hear she is better today.

[/quote]

Very possibly.  that's our only explanation really.  she tends to leave mice that she finds dead and have "gone off".  She likes to kill them herself ('orrible dog!!)

[quote user="WJT"]Choccie, so happy to here she is doing better and it wasn't Piroplasmosis. Did the vet rule out her eating poison? In any case it does sound like good news and she is on the mend.[/quote]

Yes, the vet ruled out her eating poison.  I asked several times.  He was really baffled because she was so stiff in the muscles and legs.

Usually (but probably not always), an animal which has been poisoned by rat/mice poison will display anaemic symptoms (white gums, white insides of eyes (should be pink and red respectively) and bleeding).  We knew this and checked before phoning the vet.  he's pretty certain it wasn't poison but who knows.

One thing I have just learned (though it's common sense really).  Drinking green water is very bad for dogs.  As we have very large grounds, it's quite possible that she's found some green water (as opposed to stagnant old puddles, which are fine (ish!).

Thanks for the concern, advice and goodwill.

PS - I haven't seen the late night weekend call out bill yet!!

[quote user="chocccie"]

PS - I haven't seen the late night weekend call out bill yet!!

[/quote]

I'm delighted she's okay. [:D]

These things are a worry... and always occur at night or the weekend. Even so, you may be pleasantly surprised by the bill. Last emergency we had (one of our cats had an abcess on his jaw) was on the Sunday of Bastille day weekend. Dug the vet out of bed at 10am on the Sunday, spent 20 minutes at the surgery having the wound rodded out and stapled together... and the appointment cost was €5 more than one during normal daytime hours.

She's 100% back to normal!  Running all over the place and driving me mad (and I couldn't be happier!)

The vet was sure it wasn't poisoning or snake bite.... he things the most likely explanation is our other (much larger, powerful and very boistrous) dog bashed into her and hurt her.  They do rough and tumble together all day long.  I'm not sure where the tremors came from..... shock maybe?